We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trapani or Marsala?

Which Trapani hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Trapani or Marsala?

We arrive in mid-September for just a couple of nights.........not been before but which city should we opt for? Any thoughts.............

We will have a hire car too.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trapani or Marsala?

Welcome to Sicily markmellieha!

Either town would be acceptable if you plan to hire a car.

Perhaps decide based on which town more appeals, or proximity to your intended day trip destinations. Marsala isn’t near autostrada, so driving time would take a little longer on secondary roads.

www.trapani-sicilia.it/english/trapani.htm

www.trapani-sicilia.it/english/marsala.htm

And perhaps of interest - Trapani or Masala:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494955-i9813-k639…

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trapani or Marsala?

Driving in Marsala is a lot easier than in central Trapani. Central Trapani is a pedestian only zone so if you stay there you have to park your car a ways from your loding and walk in. I was concerned my rental car might be vandalized if it was parked a ways from my lodging where I could not see it. The Trapani pedestrian zone is surrounded by big streets with fast moving traffic. Marsala is a lot smaller city than Trapani and does not have the restaurant and shopping opportunities you will find in Trapani, but Marsala has slower moving traffic and lots of places to park.

Trapani google map with some sites and restaurants marked

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Marsala google map

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trapani or Marsala?

Areas of Trapani and Marsala’s historic centre are pedestrian, but driving is not overly challenging in either town.

Vagabonda

Mississippi
Level Contributor
65 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trapani or Marsala?

I would recommend Trapani. We did not have a too much trouble finding car parking space in Trapani once we got the hang of the car park situation ( many 1 way streets). We absolutely loved the town and the pedestrian area. Lovely people, nice shopping and fabulous food. Trapani is beautiful with great views along the west coast. Don't miss visiting Erice while you are there.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trapani or Marsala?

Thank you MississippiQueenB - Spot on!

Vagabonda

6. Re: Trapani or Marsala?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:18