We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A good home base in western Sicily

Boston
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
A good home base in western Sicily

We are planing a 10-day visit to Sicily next August. Based on all the reading I did, I am considering western Sicily due to the high concentration of historic sites. Can anyone recommend a good home base? I am thinking a pleasant town with character, nice beaches, good restaurants and easy access so we could make day trips to Selinunte, Segesta and other sites... We will have a car and we would like to rent an apartment or a small house. Trapani could be an option but I read in several posts that it is a bit drab. Is it true? Cefalu sounds really nice but it seems further away from the region we want to focus on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,888 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

Welcome to Sicily Livewell67!

Yes, Western Sicily is rich in historical sites, but you would find Western Sicily far less developed than Eastern Sicily, and the atmosphere is quite different than Eastern Sicily.

With the exception of towns like Castellammare del Golfo or a hamlet like Scopello, many of Western Sicily’s coastal communities tend to be larger cities like Trapani or Marsala. Western Sicily really hasn’t developed its coastal potential.

Trapani's historic centre is charming. There are many good trattorie in Trapani, and also a beach in town, although not the best beach in the area.

Where to stay in Western Sicily?:

tripadvisor.com/…46528988

Searching house trip:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4224…

Trapani:

tripadvisor.com/…47183278

Vagabonda

Edited: 30 November 2013, 13:19
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,888 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

Also.....

recommendations for Western and Southwestern Sicily trip

tripadvisor.com/…47757007

Cefalù is a resort town, but not well positioned for touring and exploring Western Sicily.

Vagabonda

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

The3 centro storico (old town) of Trapani is actually nice and well kept, it has character, restaurants and easy access to all the region, the best base in the area. Trapani is a port town, not a beach destination, even if it has a small beach. All the beach destinations all over Italy are busy and crowded in august.

Cefalù is really too further away to be used as a base for the west.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,888 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

I agree with biondo, and yes, August is very hot, and all the beach destinations will be very, very busy.

Vagabonda

Boston
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

Thanks Vagabonda and Biondo. I understand that I won't find a Taormina on Sicily's west coast. Yet, I am still considering Trapani. If the town's beach isn't that great, what would be other nice beaches in the area?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,888 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

Western Sicily is beautiful, and it isn't that Eastern Sicily is prettier than Western Sicily. Western and Eastern Sicily are just different!

The rolling countryside and vineyards of Western Sicily are very pristine and beautiful, as well as the sandy beaches and cerulean seas.

Sicily - where to go:

tripadvisor.com/…51159969

Trapani has a lot to offer!

It's convenient to have a beach near Trapani's historic centre, but the beaches at San Vito Lo Capo are really beautiful, but also the beaches around Selinunte, and also on Favignana, which is easily reached from Trapani.

Favignana in Maggio 2013:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g657290-i12470-k64…

4 Nights, want to see beaches, ruins, towns:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k6487…

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,954 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

We stayed in Castellammare del Golfo for 2 weeks in western Sicily in Feb 2010. Castellammare has nice scenery, good restauraants, and it is very convenient to Autostrada A29 for a making day trips. It is jsut a town so driving and parking there is not stressful. We visited Segesta, Selinunte, Erice, Trapani, Marsala, Mozia, Agrigento, and the Zingaro Nature Preserve.

The beach in Castellammare is dirty though and you would have to drive somewhere else (San Vito Lo Capo or Zingaro) for a nice beach.

I only spent a short time in Trapani. What I didn't like there was the traffic and the lack of places to park.

google map showing western Sicily locations

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

pictures of Castellammare

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Google amp of Castellammare showing hotlen and restaurants

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

Trapani is a nice town, especially the historical centre. It has good restaurants, too!

It is true that the beaches around Trapani aren't very pretty but you're not too far away from San Vito Lo Capo (less than an hour drive) with its long and wide white sandy beach. You can also take the ferry to Favignana Island.

We really enjoyed this part of Sicily.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,888 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

Located at the crossroads of the A29, Castellammare del Golfo is conveniently located for touring and exploring Western Sicily, especially Zingaro and Segesta, but even south to Selinunte, and west to Erice.

If you were to base in Castellammare del Golfo, you could enjoy the beaches and sea at Scopello and Zingaro. The scenery is gorgeous, but the beaches are pebble.

Trapani is a small city, but its Centro Storico is charming, and it's very convenient to walk to a beach in town. There are also wide sandy beaches south of Marsala, and around Selinunte.

If considering day trips to Erice, the Egadi, Marsala, Mozia, the saltpans, or Mazara del Vallo, Trapani is the more convenient base.

Vagabonda

10. Re: A good home base in western Sicily

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:19