We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gobleki tepe and Nemrut

Goleta, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gobleki tepe and Nemrut

I plan on flying into Sanliurfa, rent a car, drive to Gobleki Tepe and then to Kahta to stay overnight. then next morning either drive or find a tour to Nemrut. Then drive to Cappadocia and get there before darkness. Doable? I'm very comfortable driving on narrow, curvy roads but still respectful of unknown roads in the dark.

3 replies to this topic
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gobleki tepe and Nemrut

It's an 8 hour drive from Kahta to Cappadocia, so it might be doable.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gobleki tepe and Nemrut

knutteiamerika, welcome to Turkey.

You sure can do that. I drove our rental car from Sanliurfa to Gobeklitepe. This place is the cradle of human civilisation and is an absoulute must see. Have a look at my posts No. 3 and No. 5, "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k5419…". You can perhaps extend your trip also to see the absolute must see Gaziantep Zeugma Museum and Rumkale and Old Halfeti, together with a magnificent boat trip along River Eupharates of Mesopotamia. "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1509089-i26013-k5…".

Sanliurfa to Adiyaman is about 110 km's and Adiyaman to Nevsehir (Cappadocia) is about 540 km's. So you have to leave Nemrut early and can reach Goreme late afternoon. The roads are pretty good and well signposted. Gas is expensive so get an diesel economy car. You will paying remote drop off charges but that will be worth it. Here is a good online road map by Turkish Directorate of Highways. "kgm.gov.tr/SiteCollectionImages/…Turkiye.jpg".

good luck,

enigma...

Goleta, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gobleki tepe and Nemrut

Thank you Enigma for you post.

I have now however decided against southeastern part for now, I just need more time in that region. So Instead I'm doing a quick sidetrip to Pamukkale/Hierapolis instead, partially because it's my daughters 21st BD and she really wanted to see the travertines as she worked in Yellowstone last year and this is a reward for her hard work in college. And I think I might have better photo opportunities in Pamukkale. "But I shall return..."!

Reply to: Gobleki tepe and Nemrut
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sanliurfa Province
More Sanliurfa Province Topics