We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heads up - Gamla nature reserve heavily damaged by fire.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Heads up - Gamla nature reserve heavily damaged by fire.

Unfortunately a serious bush fire raged through the Gamla nature reserve yesterday causing heavy damage.

The captive vultures part of the breeding program were all rescued but it is still unclear as to whether other vulture nests have been damaged or perhaps abandonded - at this time of year the gozlings are still in the nests !?

Part of the ruins have been damaged but as far as I am aware the Beit Keneset was spared.

Adam

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heads up - Gamla nature reserve heavily damaged by fire.

It is so sad. The vultures lookout is one of my favorite spots. I can stand there and watch for hours. Its too early to know the extent of the damage.

USA
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heads up - Gamla nature reserve heavily damaged by fire.

For a trip a few weeks from now, would we be better of not going to Gamla? It was on our list of things to do, but of course there are many other places in the north that we would like to see -- and as always inadequate time -- so should we take Gamla off the list for this trip, in light of the fire?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,681 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heads up - Gamla nature reserve heavily damaged by fire.

Despite the unfortunate fire and the terrible damage - the reserve has re-opened for visitors - for up to date info you can call *3639 - the "nature number" of the National Parks Authority.

The antiquities were not touched by the fire - because of the ongoing maintenance, keeping weeds and brush away from them to protect the antiquities - the fire had nothing to feed on and was halted before it reached them.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heads up - Gamla nature reserve heavily damaged by fire.

Onekbear - don't go to Gamla. As you said there are many other places to visit. I suppose next year in the spring it will start to get back to its glory and we'll know if the vultures were saved. Gamla is open to visitors.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heads up - Gamla nature reserve heavily damaged by fire.

One of my favorite spots in Israel -- this is very sad. I hope to go there with my friends in 2012.

Douglas Duckett

6. Re: Heads up - Gamla nature reserve heavily damaged by fire.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Amirim