We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mt. Jacques Cartier & Mont Albert

Which Gaspe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Climbing Mt. Jacques Cartier & Mont Albert

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Parc National de la Gaspésie in mid-August. I'll be camping three nights at Mt. Albert campground. I'd like to climb at least on mountain, most likely Mont Jacques Cartier, as it is the highest and has the best opportunity to view caribou. What are the typical weather conditions for climbing in August? What gear to bring? And what is the difficulty rating? Also, of the two peaks, which do you recommend and why? I may have time to climb just one. Other hiking trails you can recommend?

Thanks,

Luke in Austin, Texas

montreal
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Mt. Jacques Cartier & Mont Albert

i d'ont know for jacques cartier, i did mont albert i think it's more easy to climb then jacques cartier, and i did see caribou

mont albert is class easy i think, but if it rain heavy the night before need perhaps good boots

NDG
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Mt. Jacques Cartier & Mont Albert

You can find good descriptions (with photos) for the hikes here:

www.summitpost.org/jacques-cartier/150774

http://www.summitpost.org/mont-albert/153281

I would recommend poles and clothing for windy chilly conditions.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Mt. Jacques Cartier & Mont Albert

Hi Luke. I did both and quite frankly Mt Albert is easier but still awesome. You can also see caribou there. At Jacques-Cartier Mt you'll be sure to see caribou. Can't tell wich one I preferred. Both have on top a fantastic view. Albert is maybe more accessible cause it's just beside the 299 road, a step from majority of campgrounds and Gite du Mont-Albert. Should wear good hiking boots and clothing for windy and chilly conditions as per JC-NDG notes. Poles can be also useful.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Mt. Jacques Cartier & Mont Albert

Thinking of climbing either mt albert or mt jacques cartier ! I am a novist !! Which on first ?

5. Re: Climbing Mt. Jacques Cartier & Mont Albert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:16