We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

Ontario
Level Contributor
352 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

We are heading to Gaspesie from Ontario on August 3 (yes one week from now!). We have booked our first night at Trois Rivieres, second night at Carleton-sur-mer, third and forth at Perce. Working back around the peninsula counter clockwise I am having trouble where to stay next. Have been looking at Ste Anne Des Monts, but can't seem to find a hotel, at least one that is listed on the internet. Is it a crazy idea to just go and hope for the best? It would be nice to stay in a small town that has some restaurant options (when we are on vacation it is all about the scenery and FOOD) We will only spend one night. Then hopefully Levis (across from Que City) and finally Gatineau (or maybe Ottawa) for our last night

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

Definitely Matane for fresh, decent seafood options. You could stay there, or in Rimouski, or in the Kamouraska region (for example in St-André-de-Kamouraska), well known for its foodie character.

bassaintlaurent.ca/en/…kamouraska

bonjourquebec.com/ca-en/routenavigateurs0.ht…

When in Rivière-du-Loup , it would be worth it to stop at the provincial tourist information booth and ask for the free English brochure on 'Route des Navigateurs'. It is filled with good info, suggestions for accomodations, restaurants and events. It will be very useful for the last leg of your trip. You could also download it here www.routedesnavigateurs.ca/en/free-brochure/ . Incidentally, at the same URL you can download the Lower St-Laurent tourist guide as well. Also in R-d-Loup, you might stop at Marché Centre-ville grocery store and look for products from 'Fumoir du Loup' (artisan smoke house). Their maple-smoked prawns are to die for :) they also smoke trout, local salmon, smelt, scallop, herring, sturgeon and ham.

bonjourquebec.com/ca-en/basstlaurent0.html

www.bonjourquebec.com/ca-en/gaspesie0.html

The provincial information booths are stocked with free, useful publications and tourist guides in French and in English. You just watch for the brown sign on the road, with a white question mark on it.

And yes, you will be able to find a place to sleep on the way back from Percé without reservations. Hotels, inns and humble motels are numerous and will likely have some degree of vacancy, especially since your stay will not coincide with the statutory construction workers' holidays.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

Also, you will find more infos in this thread tripadvisor.com/…40516710

and in this trip report tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g494965-i11682-k58…

I wish you an excellent vacation, and will wait for your trip report too ;)

Edited: 26 July 2013, 21:05
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

Warning the Construction Vacation when almost half of the Province takes vacation is from July 21, 2013 to August 3, 2013 inclusive. That means that you will encounter a lot of tourists coming back on your first day drive and most of the people usually do the tour of the Gaspé Peninsula clockwise so you will meet more people staying in Carleton than if you do it on the other way.

Also a lot of people that don't want to take vacations during Construction Vacation, so about the other half of our population, don't want to be caught in the stampede and start their vacations when CV ends. In fact I worked for 3 summers in Percé and we used to call that week the Gay Week! Although is is not so gay but it gives you an idea for your planning...

You already got nice informations about lodging to this I could also add the Ministry of Tourism official website: bonjourquebec.com

So in your situation I would not try my luck finding something just to sleep near the water. Better to make reservations in advance. I would say that from the end of May to the end of September which is the touristic season in the Gaspésie the time to avoid or when you must make reservations is from mid-July to mid-August.

Ontario
Level Contributor
352 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

Thanks all! I managed to book Auberge Chateau Lamontagne in Ste Anne des Monts for our 5th night. Rick B -Thanks for the tip about construction vacation... totally forgot about that. We will be in Carleton (already booked on the Sunday night)... guess we will see what "Gay week" is all about in Perce, but we do already have reservations there. The only 2 places I need to book are Levis (hopefully close to the ferry dock) and our last night in Gatineau.

Eirelover, will definately check out the smoked products in RDLoup!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

For the almost «Gay Week» you need a gaydar to be aware of the change in clientele! lol...What you will see though is that there are less kids than the week before. Anyways you won't be there one week earlier so it will be difficult to compare.

West Hartford...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

Cheers,

Now that you have done the trip, I hope you dont mind the followin: I am planing on arriving to the Gaspe penninsula ( after a night drivefrom Baxter state park in Maine) on Wednesday morning August the 14th and leaving Saturday night the 17th or Sunday night the 18th. I like trekking and scenery (I rather camp as well if campsites available. Can you please share your recent experience? where to hike/walk? where to stay? I was thinking about Forilon ST park and Gaspessie, not familiar with the paeninsula. Any "do not miss " places for food or lodging?

Thanks for any bit for info

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
352 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

Check this out:

chaletsauquebec.com/chalets-a-louer/…

I think that a "chalet" is more cozy than an hotel!

Enjoy your trip! ;)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
544 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

At this time of year its in your best interest to call ahead and make reservations for any overnight lodging or camping..

9. Re: Need HELP for last minute trip, running out of time...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:19