We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are cruise ships to Canadian Maritimes worth going?

Which Gaspe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
are cruise ships to Canadian Maritimes worth going?

We are planning to take Pearl seas cruise this June. Do we get to see much away from the port? Suggestions please . I have heard that Gaspe is beautiful.

Sanilu

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,234 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are cruise ships to Canadian Maritimes worth going?

Hi Sanilu, welcome to the forum ~

You might also like to post on the TA Cruises forum. There are regular posters there who could also help you.

But, about the worth it question. How could anyone advise you on that? We have absolutely no idea what you would find worth it. I think it's a matter of asking good questions about the things about a cruise that matter to you and then working with the replies and your priorities and preferences.

Here is the link to the TA Cruises forum. Ask a new question there.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.h…

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are cruise ships to Canadian Maritimes worth going?

I had never heard of Pearl Cruises or the new Pearl Mist ship but looking at the on line brochure it seems to be luxury and small enough to go to points where the larger cruise ships can't do.

Looking for this specific cruise I saw some port of call, like Sept-Îles, that don't present so much interest in my view but, on the other hand she will go to Percé, Gaspé and the Magdalen Islands + Saguenay Fjord which are must sees so I would really say go for it! It is certainly more extensive than the usual Boston to Québec City cruises.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are cruise ships to Canadian Maritimes worth going?

Actually rereading the Pearl documentation I think that you might get tours from Sept-Îles to Mingan Archipelago National Park. It will be a 3 hours drive but along the scenic Saint-Lawrence Gulf and will be worthwhile.

Seems that they will also offer tours to Manic-5 dam from Baie Comeau, again around 3 hours of road each way but I think that if you are not an electric dam buff you could skip that one as you will be driven through miles and miles of forest.

Fainally they will also offer the community show "La Fabuleuse" in Ville de Saguenay. Don't know if they have a bilingual version of this show but with all the pageantry including horses, dogs, antique cars and more than 100 participants it is a not to miss show and you will understand most of it just by looking at the huge spectacle.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
12,502 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are cruise ships to Canadian Maritimes worth going?

Hi

it is kind of interesting marketing on part of the cruise company to label this cruise as Canadian Maritimes. In Canada the label "the Maritimes" is defined as the provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI which was why I wondered why the OP posted in the Gaspe forum. Of the 14 stops on the trip only 3 are in the Maritimes provinces; some info on those 3 stops.

for Charlottetown the dock is really central; with lots of activities near the port which is very pedestrian rather than industrial oriented. if you do a search on the PEI forum there were a few questions last year about car rental for a day trip across the island to Cavendish.

in Halifax the docks are walking distance to a lot of the waterfront pedestrian activities; the first section of the waterfront is industrial; the rest is historic properties converted to other uses. There is a great walkway all the way to the Marriott hotel. The Citadel a real old british fort which has people dressed in the costumes is a good walk which involves hilly terrain. Taxi is recommended to get to the top and use the stairs to walk down to the waterfront.

Lunenburg is a Unesco historic small town; very tourist oriented. easy walking along the waterfront near the museum.

5. Re: are cruise ships to Canadian Maritimes worth going?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:20