We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel with seals?

winnipeg
Level Contributor
568 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel with seals?

Can you really snorkel with the seals like Rick Mercer did? What company should I contact to do this? I have been doing some reading up on this area, and I definetly want to visit . Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorkel with seals?

"If they miss the activity in Forillon because the weather is bad, isn’t it a good thing if they can do it 2 days later in Percé?"

Please be aware that the weather has to be quite bad, like southeast-winds-at -30-knots bad for this not to take place. The seal population is in the bay of Gaspé, in a spot sheltered from most winds (that's also why the seals like it!) and the snorkeling happens rain or shine. It's actually a perfect rainy day activity, you're going to get wet no matter what and the seals are just as active.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorkel with seals?

Thank you for clarifying your thoughts Gatine. I agree with what you're saying in the 11:34 post. I think the only fundamental difference in our point of views is concerning interaction with wildlife. Even though it's very much fun, as a biologist and veterinary pathologist, I can't help being very wary when it comes to interactions between humans and wild animals as it can always be risky for both.

That being said, please don't think I'm some sort of self-righteous, rigid, protector of a warped view of nature (I met a lot of those). I did swim with dolphins, pet a killer whale, approach sea elephants from way too close to be safe, etc...The beauty of nature brings emotions that are difficult to deal with rationally...

Edited: 03 June 2014, 17:08
Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorkel with seals?

jlafond: You will be reassured to know that since it is taking place within the boundaries of a federal national park, it is regulated by the administration of the park and rules are set in place and clearly communicated to clients. Do not touch the seals, stay a certain distance from the resting rocks or many others I can't remember right now. People easily comply with the no touching rule but the seals keep breaking the 'don't touch the humans' rule.... The young harbour seals are curious and playful and approach you and may even nibble on your fins a bit. The adults mostly watch from their rocks.

Seals are the priority. If they were disturbed by this activity, I have no doubt the park authority would stop it. They closely monitor what's going on but the operators are fully aware anyways that their future rest on the colony's well-being and won't compromise that.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snorkel with seals?

Excellent, that's exactly how I think it should be. If it's the animals breaking the rule, it's all good !!!

If I can find a babysitter, I will do this during my 3 days in Forillon this summer. Thank you. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snorkel with seals?

Here are two videos that should get you working on booking that babysitter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWwf29ojTP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwln2bSMCG4

Edited: 03 June 2014, 21:20
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Snorkel with seals?

Awesome, thanks !

17. Re: Snorkel with seals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 07:16