We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Imlay Rd

Which Eden hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Imlay Rd

Is the Imlay Road just south of Eden through to the Monaro Highway a viable route. We don't mind a bit of rough road or dirt and will be in a four wheel drive but we are not looking for a challenging four wheel drive track. We will have travelled down the coast to Eden and were looking for a different route heading towards the snowies.

6 replies to this topic
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Imlay Rd

Hi rabbit - the Imlay is a fully sealed road but can be a bit bumpy in places due to the volume of log trucks that travel along it. It's not as winding as Brown Mtn or the Clyde and we have seen some great wildlife along it too. We use it occasionally when travelling to Eden but it does come out about 20kms south of Eden. A couple of other ways you can come from Eden:

Mt Darragh Rd. You turn off just south of Pambula and come up through Cathcart & Bombala.

Towamba Rd. Turn off either at Kiah south of Eden or at the top of the double lanes in Eden. This is a gorgeous drive along the river valley through Towamba and Rocky Hall. The road up the range is single lane dirt but still suitable for 2WD. Would check the condition before travelling though as recent rains may have affected it.

As we travel to the coast often, we like to mix up the trips a bit and all of the roads that come up over the range between Bega & Eden are suitable for 2WD although I wouldn't like to tow the boat along all of them :)

brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Imlay Rd

Thanks Tez. That gives me food for thought. Any other sights worth visiting around Eden? I have had a quick look at the info about Ben Boyd National Park. Do you have any ideas for interesting shortish (nothing more than an hour or so) walks in the park?

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Imlay Rd

We like to drive out to Boyd Tower - it's a fairly short walk from the carpark to the tower where you look out over the magnificent red limestone cliffs. On the way back you can stop at the naval wharf and walk out along the jetty (if no boats are in) and the old Davidson Whaling station - nice little walk down to the creek where we often go fishing. Another great spot is Greencape Lighthouse - a bit of a drive to get out there but worth stopping at a few other places along the way such as Saltwater Ck & Bitangabee Bay.

Have a look here: eden.nsw.au/visiting-eden/walks-through-the-… for some more ideas on something that may suit.

Where are you staying? Can highly recommend Quarantine Bay Cottages if you haven't booked anything yet. :)

brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Imlay Rd

Thanks again Tez - I will have a look at that website. We will be staying at Merimbula for a couple of days and have already booked, but we are looking forward to exploring the Eden area on our way to a few days in the snowies.

brisbane
Level Contributor
183 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Imlay Rd

Tez - I just had a quick look at the website you recommended. It was just what I was looking for. However after reading the note of caution at the end I think if I wasn't a dyed in the wool Aussie I might be too scared to venture outside at all !!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Imlay Rd

Didn't notice that! Must remember to watch out for all those wombats that come walking up to me in the bush ready to scratch my eyes out! :):):)

Reply to: Imlay Rd
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eden
Recent Conversations