We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Which Agnes Water hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Hi all,

I have to drive from Brisbane to Agnes Waters for work and I was wondering if there is any interesting sites I shouldn't miss on the way there and back?

I appreciate your help!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

No replies? What a shame. I'm doing the same drive next week, and could really use some advice. Thanks!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Drustrange,

Most of the road is inland from the coast, do you want to see beaches on the way up from Brisbane, or country towns worth a visit?

If you let us know what interests you and how much time you have then perhaps we could assist.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Thank you, lifetravellerbrissy.

I'm thinking of an itinerary similar to this, but everything's still completely flexible, so if you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Day 1: Springbrook National Park.

Day 2: drive through Glass House Mountains, continue north and spend night near Kondalila National Park.

Day 3: Check out Kondalila falls, then drive north to Agnes Water/1770 (allow 5 hours).

Day 4: Hang around Agnes water, take a scooter tour from these guys:

http://www.scooterrootours.com/

Day 5: Get on a boat to Lady Musgrave Island & spend the day there - might scuba. I also read about scuba at Rainbow Beach and Wolf Rocks but wonder if they're overhyped.

Day 6: ?? Open.

Day 7: Either drive back to the Sunshine coast airport or up to Rockhampton to catch a plane back to Sydney. Is it worth the extra driving to go up to Rockhampton?

I'm most interested in natural scenic beauty, hikes <5km, scuba/snorkeling, and quirky/funky/bizarre cultural sights. Rainforests, unusual plants and animals, boating up rivers & into everglades, geologically interesting mountains and rock formations, picturesque coastlines, and museums all interest me. I like cliffs, steep dropoffs, and scary bridges :-) I travel to a lot of tropical locales for scuba diving so beaches are not at the top of my list this trip. I'm an amateur photographer, and I like to do photo blogging, so any place that offers me a chance at a trophy shot is a winner!

Thank you in advance for any tips you can provide.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Hello again Drustrange,

I assume you are arriving in Brisbane, if so, Springbrook is south of Brisbane and you need to head North. Perhaps go via Glasshouse Mtns, then to Maleny, Montville and Mapleton. There's lots to do and see up there, including Kondalilla National Park and Mapleton Falls Nat Park.

Next day you could head over to the Noosa area and take a look around, then head up to Bundaberg, stopping at some of the smaller towns on the way. The scooter tour looks good.

I'd give Rockhampton a big miss, nothing much there, except Yeppoon.

I'd recommend a 2 day trip to Fraser Island, the largest sand island in the world, some scenic spots there. Depart from Hervey Bay Don't know about the diving though, I'm not a diver.

Then back to the Sunshine Coast airport to catch a plane.

All the best with the trip hope this helps

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Shore snorkel from Bargara Beach.

Whale Watching Hervey Bay

Four Wheel drive Fraser Island

Noosa has river paddling'

Mary valley old train trip.

http://www.thevalleyrattler.com/

Intact general store from years ago- Maryborough (Birthplace of the author who wrote Mary Poppins and other little bits of history)

www.nationaltrustqld.org/property-brennan.htm

Check out reef destination: Fitzroy, have heard great things and now seems accessible.

gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/…fitzroy_sma

Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

At 1770 (near Agnes Water) there are the LARC tours which are quite fun:

http://www.1770larctours.com.au/

You can canoe up into the Everglades at Noosa. We just hired a canoe from somewhere and did it, but it looks like there are also tours:

http://www.noosaevergladesdiscovery.com.au/

the overflow
Level Contributor
417 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Mon Repos turtles

Cardalpa pub

childers

fitzroy reef

stimson crash walk...lamington..from xmas creek

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Hi,

Lady Musgave island is a lovely island to visit if you have the time. You can do the tour from Agnes Water Town of 1770/

See links below for additional information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255074-d497…

other towns to visit -

Sunshine Coast - Noosa.

Hervey Bay - Fraser island

Lady Elliott Island

Bundaberg

Agnes Waters - Town of 1770 - Lady Musgrave Island

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Thanks all! Here's what I ended up doing:

- Drove down to Springbrook national park and hiked the waterfall loop at Purling Brook Falls. I can wholeheartedly recommend this!! The hike starts at the top of the cliffs, and as it winds its way to the base of the falls, you descend from a temperate forest into a tropical rainforest microclimate where you'll hear whip birds, catbirds, and a variety of other otherworldly creatures high up in the eucalyptus and palm trees. The trail goes behind the waterfall, which is also very fun. Bring lunch, take your time, enjoy the day.

- Drove to Montville and stayed in a Secrets Treehouse on the lake.

http://www.secretsonthelake.com.au/

In addition to the gorgeous accommodations, the food basket they provided was awesome and the kayaking on Lake Baroon was serene and lovely. Sitting on the private porch at night and listening to the kookaburras howling at each other was unforgettable.

- Drove around in the Glass House Mountains. This was interesting for a while, but ultimately a little disappointing, as I got lost several times even though I had a great map, and I wanted to find a rock outcropping to climb (never did) and it was very challenging to photograph the monoliths - nowhere to turn out, no high places or clear shots. had tea at a very nice cafe near Tibrogargan:

http://www.glassonglasshouse.com.au/cafe.html

- Did a quick side trip to Hardy's Lookout and Best of All Lookouts. The latter wasn't best of all or even so-so - it was completely fogged in. But on the short hike to it you can see rare Antarctic beech trees, remnants of forest many millions of years old, fromthe days when Australia was a part of Gonwanda Land. Slightly spooky and fascinating. On the road to Hardy's I saw some little kangaroos - the ones that look like giant rats, except they bounce, not scuttle.

- Visited Natural Bridge waterfall, near Numinbah. This was pretty, but after Purling Falls, not so impressive.

- Stopped in Maryborough's historical district. It was a good break from driving but all the stores close at ~2pm on Saturday afternoons. They have the biggest Banyan tree I've ever seen in their town park. I also took a short boat tour of the "mighty, muddy Mary river" - the highlight here was the large colony of flying foxes (aka fruit bats) sleeping in the willow trees along the river.

- I continued north to the town of 1770, and stayed in the Beach Shacks hotel, which I heartily recommend. There's an outdoor restaurant / taverna next door with great food, but make reservations or they might not seat you.

- While at 1770 I took an all day cruise out to Lady Musgrave island and did two scuba dives there. The boat trip was fun - there wasn't much to see during the crossing but it was fun being out on the water. If you do this, take anti-seasickness meds (some people were really sick). Lady Musgrave is a pretty little jewel of an island, but the diving's only so-so. Apparently a cyclone went through this area a few years ago, and there are football field sized piles of dead staghorn coral everywhere. We did see a large manta and a large stingray, which was nice. The snorkeling is as good as the diving, btw - lots of fish, and the water's clear and warm and calm.

- I drove to Bundaberg to swim in their municipal pool - it's a terrific facility but they only had one lane open for lap swimming. The rest of the pool was occupied by what looked like a Mondrian nightmare -a gigantic inflatable intestine rendered in primary colors with a slide at the end. While there I bought a bottle of Bundaberg rum - HOLY COW that stuff is strong.

- Next, I drove out to Deepwater national park. This was a fascinating natural area but alas, my rental car wasn't up to the rutted, sandy road, so I never made it to the beach. It was here that I saw my first giant kangaroos!

- Because I'd become fascinated with the bizarre bird calls, on the way back I stopped at the Flying High Bird Sanctuary. This was a waste of time and money. The birds all fly away if you get near them - they stay so far away from you that can't even tell the parrots from the pigeons.

All in all, I enjoyed the road trip quite a bit. Although I covered 1800km round trip, there was plenty to see and do along the way, and afterwards I felt like I'd gotten a good taste of the area.

Thank you all again for your suggestions and recommendations.I wish I'd had time to go to Fraser Island, the Noosa everglades, and the Stinson crash walk. We saw a Larc tour from the boat out to Lady Musgrave - it looked like fun, but that's not my sort of thing.

I also wished I'd gone to Hervey bay for the whale watching; in fact, I regretted not doing it so much that when I did the second road trip (south from Sydney to Bega), I hopped on a whale watching boat out to Montague island. But we only saw a couple of whales and they were very far away - the people I talked to about Hervey bay said they saw scores, all very close to the boat. Oh well, maybe next time.

dru

Edited: 23 October 2010, 08:32
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to Agnes Waters

Sounds wonderful Dru, so pleased to hear that the trip turned out so well.

And thanks for letting us know.