We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for Poms visit next April please!

ipswich, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Help for Poms visit next April please!

Hi! Me and my husband are planning to visit Brissie & hopefully one of the beautiful islands off the coast.... is Straddie the best to visit? Or is there somewhere else you could recommend? We want to stay 5 days there and prefer peace & quiet with a good beach in easy reach. Would love a B&B which caters for adults only (with a pool if possible!)Also, handy restaurants/pub within walking distance (we don't mind a couple of kms walk!)

Also, can you tell me what the weather will be like in April, as we are hoping to do lots of swimming & snorkelling... advice on the best beaches for this is also most appreciated!

Any help/advice would be great adn if there is any other info you think may help us choose a great place to stay!!

Cheers

Karen

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

There are a couple of great island off Brisbanes doorstep but North Stradbroke is definately our favourite. Most people stay at Point Lookout which is on the North/East tip and about a 15 minute drive from the ferry.

To get there we catch the Big Red Cat ;

http://www.seastradbroke.com/

There are numerous accommodation options - some B&B - but mostly self-contained privately owned beach houses that are rented through the local estate agents.

http://www.raywhitestraddie.com/

Also see this link for general info ;

http://www.stradbrokeholidays.com.au/

Our favourite beach is Cylinder, which is beautiful,safe ( and patrolled) and there is some snorkelling and great surfing to be had. It is also next door to the iconic Straddie Hotel which has had a multi million dollar facelift but still one of the best veiws in the country.

It is a good idea to have a car with you - its a 40 minute drive to the ferry terminal from Brisbane CBD ( its a car ferry ) and then it helps to get around the island - although there is a bus service and water taxi if you prefer.

Other popular spots include the Blue and Brown freshwater lakes & the Gorge Walk where you can always see the local dolphins and Manta Rays.

'Straddie' is a very special place that is often overlooked by tourists ( perhaps part of its appeal) but everyone who visits is captivated. It is very laid back - you cant even get phone reeception in some areas.

Be mindful it will be school holidays between the 2/4 - 12/ 4 which may affect availability and rates so book soon !

Point Lookout
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

Hi Slinky!

April is a great time to cruise over to laid back Straddie. I recommend staying at Point lookout where everything is within walking distance pretty much.

There are 4 or 5 stunning white beaches and a nu8mber of amazing walks including around rocky cliff faces giving you an eagles eye view of marine and bird like.

Check out http://www.straddie.wordpress.com for an over view of island life, a few videos of what you can expect and the odd cheap accommodation option located centrally.

Good luck

Cheers

Col

ipswich, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

Hi Col!

many thanks for your useful tips and website to visit; although we have now decided to stay for a week at Bribie island and just have a day or two at Straddie but it's all been really helpful to get "insider" tips on what to do/where to stay. I followed the link through to learn to surf as we have never given it a try despite 2 previous visits to your beautiful country!

The beaches at Point Lookout look and sound amazing, so I think we will definitely pay these a visit!

Thanks again for you kind help, it's really appreciated!!!

Kind regards

slinky

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

I don't mean to be rude but why on earth would you choose to stay at Bribie Island (unless staying with friends who live there) over North Stradbroke? Bribie is not a bad spot for a day trip but a whole 5 days?!

IMHO Bribie is like one giant retirement village and the beaches are nowhere near as nice as Straddie's.

ipswich, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

Hi Templc

Oh dear that's a shame because we have already booked our accomodation for 5 nights at On the Beach resort! Never mind, it did look lovely there and to be honest we have the whole of April out in Oz so will def spend a couple of days on Straddie as well.

It's all so useful to have everyone's opinions on the different resorts/islands over there, so thank you!

Actually, 5 days on a "retirement" resort will be just fine... although we are a very young 40 we do like the peace and tranquility option for a few days!

Thanks again!

Slinky

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

yep sorry Karen but have to agree with Templc74 here,

at the risk of being flamed by Bribie fans ( are there any ?) it is probably the last island locals would stay. The beaches are very average and there is little to do or see. As said it is a very popular retirement desitination for the over 60's.

I did try to give you some Straddie advice. Oh well, hopefully you will get over there for a day trip - but then be racked with regret :(

We really DO know what we are on about :))

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

Slinky, I feel bad now. Bribie is pretty, but probably a little too quiet for me. It's just not my pick of places.

Straddie is also quiet but has so much to offer in terms of beautiful beaches. It's hard to explain...the islands just have a different vibe about them.

ipswich, UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

Hey 40ish and templc!

Please don't feel bad about the advice, it's really appreciated and you guys seem to know the islands pretty well; at the end of the day if we are left disappointed by Bribie then we only have ourselves to blame!!! :-)

We have a very hectic itenery for the rest of our stay in April so chilling out for 5 days will be fine; although I am a bit gutted we will not have the best of the beaches of between Bribie and Straddie! The surf side beach of Bribie looks lovely in the pics that I've seen so hopefully we will still enjoy it and manage to leran to surf! But Point Lookout is def on our visit-list as it looks and sounds beautiful.

Thanks again guys!

Slinky

9. Re: Help for Poms visit next April please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about North Stradbroke Island