We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport from Melbourne to Eltham Vic

Which Eltham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
transport from Melbourne to Eltham Vic

Hello

I am having difficulty finding where Eltham is in Victoria. I will be flying to Melbourne from Ballina NSW 20th February. I need transport from Melbourne to Eltham. Can you tell me how far Eltham is from Melbourne and which direction and closest large town.

Thank you

Joan Budd

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport from Melbourne to Eltham Vic

Hi Joan, Eltham is about 23 kms from the Melbourne CBD. It's in the northeast near Greensborough and Heidelberg in a nice bush setting. Taxi fare should set you back between $60 and $70. Alternatively if you catch the bus into the city to say Flinders St Railway station, Eltham is a about 40 minutes away on the Hurstbridge rail line, with trains departing at 20 to 30 minute intervals. The Panorama bus service meets rail passengers and is likely to be able to drop you off near your Eltham house stop if you're staying privately. Several large hotels/motels otherwise. Regards - John.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport from Melbourne to Eltham Vic

Hi Joan,

You would probably be best off time-wise catching a taxi to Eltham, it is a suburb of Melbourne not far from the end of the Ring Road.

Otherwise you will have to catch Skybus to Southern Cross and the Hurstbridge train out to Eltham.

Or, you can catch the 901 (Frankston) bus from T4 to Broadmeadows station and change to the 902 (Chelsea) bus which will (eventually) take you to Eltham.

Both these options will take about an hour and a half, depending on connections.

Melbourne, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transport from Melbourne to Eltham Vic

There's a metro train than stops in Eltham and takes around half an hour. From there, if the place your staying at isn't walkable distance, catch a taxi from there.

A taxi from the city would be awfully expensive ($40-60) where as the train is cheap ($5-10).

Best of luck, and enjoy Eltham, it's a beautiful suburb. Quite gorgeous!

www.aninfinitesummer.com

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transport from Melbourne to Eltham Vic

Are you flying into Tullamarine airport (rather than Avalon)? If so, I agree that a taxi will be the most convenient option. Otherwise you will need to go into the city & back out again, relying on public transport, which will take an hour or so (depending on time of day). Eltham is east of the airport. If you are flying into Avalon, then your best option will be a bus to the city & the train as suggested above.

AnInfineteSummer, your suggestion is assuming they are in the Melbourne CBD, but they need to get to Eltham from the airport.

Reply to: transport from Melbourne to Eltham Vic
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eltham