We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base in town or out

Kambalda, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Base in town or out

Hi there all!

Im travelling with a dog (3 legs not, doesnt walk very far) basically I know you can travel with the dogs which was apleasant suprise so Ive downloaded the dog map but wondering whether (being on my own) if I would be better staying in town and exploring from there, or staying out of town at the Duke of Orleans - as Ive heard its an amazing spot. - so stay in town or out - opinion would be appreciated :)

Ive never been to Esperance, so wondering in the 4 days Im there (where I can take pooch) what the must see things to do are.

Is there enough to do on my own? Im not overly confident in the ocean (strong swimmer but in rivers/lakes never had a beach where I grew up)

Any information would be super, Thanks in advance

5 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base in town or out

Will you have a car?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base in town or out

Hi Emmy,

Have a read through the link below regarding what to do in Esperance.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23867-Getting_…

Kambalda, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Base in town or out

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

Yes will in 2wd car.

I have already read all I could on here and other websites, was more chasing opinions from people that may have been there. The trip advisor is good, but as travelling with a dog I cannot take to National Parks (understandable) so wont be going to those.

Ive booked out the Orleans so will just take it as it comes...hard for someone that likes to be organised heheh

thanks again! :o)

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base in town or out

Having a dog in tow will restrict some activities in Esperance. No go zones will be National Parks, cruises, restaurant dining etc...but you already know all this. Esperance is ALL about the beaches IMO and where youve booked is certainly on one of Oz's best so I think youve done the best option. I doubt you'd find anything as close to the beach in town that allows pets. What to do in 4 days?..I could quite easily spend all that time just at the beach! You can of course day trip into town and browse around. There is the Twilight Beach Road loop which passes by many fantastic beaches (if you need to see more) and then circles past the windfarm and the Pink Lake.

Esperance is more of a "chill out" place to stay. Its not really big on activities/must dos and touristy things (particularly with pets) but instead the focus is on those fantastic beaches. At least, thats what I head there for.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
436 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base in town or out

As AJ has said, the beaches are fantastic and I nearly always do the Tourist drive along there whenever we visit. There are some beaches which will allow dogs- they are usually signed well, we've taken our two dogs there before.

The Rotary lookout and walk is nice- can take dog. The Jetty is nice to walk out on ( not sure if you can take dog though ). Mermaid leather factory is interesting, the glass place that's out of town is great. There is a new Bird and animal park now that's been open a little while. Haven't had time to visit it yet. There's a cafe and accommodation attached as well to it. It's about 15kms out of town on the road to the airport

Restaurants I'd recommend- The Jetty Restaurant is always nice- but you will have to tie your dog up!

Best of luck!

Reply to: Base in town or out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Esperance