We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pet Boarding

The Villages...
1 post
Save Topic
Pet Boarding

My family will be renting a home in Salvo in mid-July and I am in need of a place to board my two elderly Chihuahuas. I am not familiar with the area and would appreciate some assistance with this.

9 replies to this topic
Nags Head, North...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Pet Boarding

There is a pet resort in Rodanthe, only a few miles from Salvo - Hatteras Island Pet Resort, http://www.obxpetresort.com/. Or there is one in Frisco as well, http://obxpetboardingkennel.com/.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pet Boarding

Our dogs have stayed at the obx pet resort (2010) and they took great care of them. The kennels are air conditioned in the summer.

Nice clean facility- obvious animal lovers...

I do notice on their website that their Rodanthe location is on the market...

p s
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pet Boarding

If you are coming in from the North.... they are at Kill Devil Hills area

Salty Dog Boarding and Grooming, owner Katrina, 252-441-6501

I haven't used them personally , but they have good reviews and were very helpful on the phone... they even have arrangements to let you take your dogs offsite for a visit.....

Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pet Boarding

Looking for current reviews on kennels on hatteras, coming in Sept. Need to board three dogs -- concerned over security, cleanliness & level of care provided.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pet Boarding

I'm curious as to why you didn't seek out properties that allow pets as there are plenty of them. We have been traveling to the OBX for 30+ years and have had no problem finding pet friendly properties. Also, I would never board one of my pups anywhere before I personally inspected it myself. However, if you mst board your pus, I would recommend speaking to the folks at "Outer Barks" in Duck - Google it - and ask their opinion. They live there and will have the best info.

Dunedin, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pet Boarding

Thanks, glad Outer barks is still open.

We are in a house with two other families, 3 dogs are too much. Thanks for your concern.

richmond
Level Contributor
894 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pet Boarding

Dr Grossman and staff at Roanoke Animal Hospital boards and are the best! They really love the animals. They have a website.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Pet Boarding

We returned from Avon last month and boarded our dog at Hatteras Island Pet Resort in Rodanthe. From the moment I made the reservation with Andrea, the owner, my nerves were at ease. When we finally met her in June, she was so warm and welcoming. She could sense I was a wreck saying goodbye to my 'baby', so she took me around to see the facilty which I was more than impressed with! It was so clean and very spacious. All the dogs have a/c in their indoor area and a doggie door to an outside run. My husband and I picked up our dog 3 times during the week (picked him up around 9am and returned him around 4pm). She always knew who we were and Rex was always very compliant to go back with her at the end of the day. If we return to the Avon area again, we will definitely use her service in the future and I recommend anyone else to as well!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pet Boarding

Thanks for coming back to give your review. I wish more people did that on here.

Reply to: Pet Boarding
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salvo