We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

comparison to Corolla

Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Topic
comparison to Corolla

I have stayed twice in Corolla and I'm considering the Southern Shores area for this next trip, mainly because I won't have to spend time in traffic getting to the far end. How do the two towns compare? How about the beaches? I most enjoy quieter areas with family-oriented beaches and I like the Soundside best.

6 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: comparison to Corolla

Southern Shores does not offer much in the way of soundside. There are no beach areas over there, but SS does have a park on the sound. The beach is nice and quiet since no others are allowed there except those staying in Southern Shores. You will have to drive and park and walk unless you get one of the oceanfronts. You will save some time not driving up rt 12 from Kitty Hawk.

MD
Level Contributor
734 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: comparison to Corolla

The beach at Southern Shores is narrower than Corolla with coarser sand, fewer shells, a sharper drop-off as you enter the water, and a bit rougher waves that break closer to shore.

How quiet any beach is depends on how many homes are in that particular community competing for space on the beach and roads. I'm not sure Southern Shores is any busier or quieter than Corolla. I've always enjoyed our particular Ocean Sands community, but I have friends who really didn't like staying at Corolla Light due to the crowds at the pool and on the beach - somuchso they started driving a few miles to find a less crowded beach each day.

Southern Shores is next to Duck which is my favorite town on the Outer Banks. But we stay in Ocean Sands in Corolla, which is only 10 minutes from Duck, so we swing down and enjoy Duck several times the week we vacation.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
227 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: comparison to Corolla

We have rented a beach house in Southern Shores this year - it is our first time to the Outer Banks. Wondering about what OBX200 said about having to drive & park to get to the beach?? Our house is on Circle Dr and I guess I was under the impression we would be able to walk there. Can anyone familiar with the area help me out? Thanks!

MD
Level Contributor
734 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: comparison to Corolla

Circle drive looks like an easy walk to the beach - google map it.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: comparison to Corolla

Corolla is the widest part of the island and has more visitors. There is public beach access. There are lots of restaurants and some nice grocery stores. Most ocean front homes have direct beach access. SS does not have public beach access. It's less populated than other cities further South. There are no grocery stores.There are not many restaurants and no bars.

Southern Shores...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: comparison to Corolla

Circle Dr is definitely walkable to the beach. All of the area from NC 12 (Ocean Blvd or Duck Rd) is on the ocean side. All the beach areas in Southern Shores are private, for property owners or their guests (renters)

You can drive to Hillcrest Dr and park at that beach access. The property owner will provide passes. It is true that there is not much of any sound side beach, just a small area at N Dogwood for young children to wade in. There is also a boat launch at this same area for kayaks small boats etc. Southern Shores is a lot closer to Duck (less than 3 miles at the farthest) than Corolla. You will save 3/4 hr getting to Corolla and same leaving from Southern Shores.

George

Flip Flop Inn

Southern Shores

Reply to: comparison to Corolla
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Southern Shores
More Southern Shores Topics