We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation in Sunset Beach

Which Sunset Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Family vacation in Sunset Beach

Hi there

We are Brits and last year my family and I stayed a couple of miles from Sunset Beach for the second week in August. The previous week we had been travelling in Washington DC and Virginia and we just wanted to relax and did very little apart from visit the beach. We loved Sunset Beach so much that we are coming again this year - this time for 2 weeks - first 2 in August. We have planned a 2 day trip to Charleston, but the rest of the time we will be in and around Sunset Beach. We would really like some advice on things to do when we tire of the beach and pool - our 2 kids are 13 and 11. We want to visit Myrtle Beach - is anyone able to recommend a good water park (we don't have these in the UK)?. Also, we would love to have some local recommendations for good restaurants in the Sunset Beach area. Both our kids are allergic to fish but we can visit seafood restaurants as long as they have meat alternative. Many thanks for your help.

3 replies to this topic
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation in Sunset Beach

Hi Jillfern,

For seafood, I've enjoyed Crabby Oddwaters right across the bridge. We've had some really good meals there. Twin Lakes is pretty good, too, (also right across the bridge), though more of a traditional atmosphere. I think they both have some chicken or something non-seafood on the menu. Most seafood places do since they're used to having big family parties come in and there's usually one in the crowd that doesn't like fish. Calabash is also worth checking out. It's a little town just over the SC border full of seafood restaurants. They specialize in fried seafood, so it can be a bit artery-clogging, but it's a fun tourist attraction of the slower speed kind. You can also go down to the docks and buy some shrimp from the guys right off the boat and take 'em back to your cottage and boil 'em up.

I cannot recommend a good water park in Myrtle, but there's bound to be one. I really don't like the heavy traffic and congested tourist attractions down there, but I know a lot of people love it. Just not my speed. I'm sure you can find some waterslides down there, though. You might post in the Myrtle Beach forum if you haven't already. I imagine that forum gets a lot more traffic than this one.

Hope you have a great time!

Surrey
Level Contributor
30 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation in Sunset Beach

thank you so much for taking the time to advise us

Statesville, North...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation in Sunset Beach

We also love sunset beach and have vacationed there for the past 4 years. For dining in Sunset we did not like crabby oddwaters ( the name says it all) if you like dining with plastic forks and paper plates then that is the place to go. The service was slow and the food was cold when we got it. Twin lakes is a much better experience. Calabash is definitely a place to go. You should try the dolphin tour. It is a boat that takes you into the ocean and you get to dolphins. It last at least a couple of hours and is not that expensive. The Boundary House is a great restaurant. It is a bit expensive but the food is awesome. Ella's is across the street and it is one of the fried seafood restaurants but is is good quality good price. Both of these restaurants offer other things than seafood. As far as myrtle beach definitely a lot of traffic and congestion but if you like to shop and have a good time I suggest Broadway at the Beach. Lots of shopping and good restaurants, all of them expensive but good.

Reply to: Family vacation in Sunset Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sunset Beach
Recent Conversations
More Sunset Beach Topics