We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

compare ocracoke island to topsail

ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
compare ocracoke island to topsail

hi,

we have always went to ocracoke island for our beach vacation this year our friends found topsail and went ahead and rented a house there...can anyone compare these two places for me that have stayed or been to both?

what we love about ocracoke is that we can rent a bike for the week and bike all around town, take our explorer onto the beach and relax go to the little shops and sit and drink at the jolly rogers that sits on silver lake...what will we love that topsail will have?

thank you for taking the time to help me decide it topsail will be for my family.

New Bern, North...
Level Contributor
257 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: compare ocracoke island to topsail

First let me say I have never actually stayed overnight on Topsail. I've always driven over for the day, since I only live about an hour away. I am also very biased toward Ocracoke because I love it there.

Topsail is a nice beach. Nice sandy beaches, and sometimes you can luck out and have crystal clear water there. However the beaches are not 4WD. Topsail is not very crowded, mainly beach houses. Very quiet family area. Mid way you will find Surf City which has a few shops, and places to eat, nothing like Jolly Roger or SmcNalleys. There is also a turtle hospital there, which is kinda cool. Plus Topsail is not that far from Wilmington (about 30 min) which has lots to do. Topsail is probably a little cheaper than Ocracoke too.

Oh yea topless sunbathing is allowded on Topsail, but I have never actually seen anyone doing it.

I hope this helps.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: compare ocracoke island to topsail

Both are very nice places to vacation.

There is more to do on the OBX but it is more expensive.

While there is less to do on Topsail, it is very family oriented and not too crowded.

North Topsail Beach is very quiet and mostly residential; Topsail is mostly residential with a few shops; and Surf City has the most shops and restaurants.

Both the OBX and Topsail are great places to vacation, so no matter which one you choose, you can't go wrong.

ohio
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: compare ocracoke island to topsail

thank you, we planned our trip back to ocracoke...were very excited

4. Re: compare ocracoke island to topsail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations