We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

Charlotte, North...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

I usually go to Carolina Beach every year. I love it but I have been thinking maybe I should try Topsail or Surf City. I don't have any children so outside entertainment is not a priority. I just like to look at the ocean, walk on the beach and read. I love oceanfront condos that are not expensive(on a budget)! For those you out there that have been to both Carolina and Topsail or Surf City, what do you like or dislike about one or the other. I realize that opinions are subjective, however, I appreciate any input./

North Carolina
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

I've been to both, and while I enjoy the "throwback" vibe of Carolina beach, I enjoy the "throwback" vibe of Topsail even more. There is probably less available in the way of outside activities at Topsail (restaurants, shopping, etc.) but we like it like that! We mostly like to do the beach, fish, and enjoy the sound as well. Do you have any specific question?

Wadsworth, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

We are looking to vacation at Topsail beach, but don't know much about it. We have been to Holden Beach for several years and really enjoy it, but thought about trying something new. Found houses to be nicer and cheaper at Topsail too, just wondering what the catch was???

North Carolina
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

I'm at Topsail now, having a wonderful week staying at a cottage called "Crabby Shack". I'll write a trip report and review when I get home! There's no "catch" that I can see; it's just off the beaten path, and if you require a lot of entertainment, it wouldn't be the place for you! This house is ocean front, but also has a dock on the sound side, which enables us to bring our jon boat and fish a bit. I prefer Topsail to North Topsail, just because it's more "old school". Any specific questions?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

No catch...been going there for nearly forty years-my parents even lived on the island in early Seventies. The island hasn't changed much either!

I too prefer Topsail Beach to North Topsail. More retro and laid back. The beach is just gorgeous-it really is the perfect place if you like to plop on the beach with an umbrella and a book. NEVER crowded.

Wadsworth, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

Thank you both for your input.....I think we have decided on Topsail....trying to look for places in Topsail vs. North topsail, but options are limited. I will post if I think of anything. Again, thanks for your replies:)

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

I wouldn't dismiss North Topsail Beach. It's really lovely. The big advantage of Surf City and Topsail Beach over North Topsail is that SC and TB have town centers with shops, restaurants, etc. while NTB is basically residential and beach; however, everything is within a short drive. And that is the advantage of NTB over the other two - you can get to where you want to go with relative ease without having to travel too far to get off the island or wait for the swing bridge.

All three towns are very nice and I highly recommend all of them.

Topsail Island is relatively small and whatever town you choose to vacation in you will probably be very happy. You won't have to worry about crowds wherever you are on the island (unless it's the main beach access near the pier in Surf CIty) and it's a great place to relax.

7. Re: Trying to decide if I want to try Topsail/Surf City.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations