We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time on Topsail!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
360 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
First Time on Topsail!

Hello all. We are renting the Sunny Daze Duplex in the Sandcastles Development in Surf City from Century 21 Action Inc. for Memorial Day week. We are hubby & me (40s) , in laws (70s) son (21 and a Marine at CLJ) and random adult friends and Marines for part of the week.

While I would have likely chosen North Topsail or Topsail if it was just going to be me and the hubby, I wanted to limit the amount of driving the Marines would have to do. (If you haven't heard, they have been known to consume a beer or two) :-)

Any advice for a newbie? We will eat many dinners in, but may go out for a bit or two? "Best" place to eat on the island? (I know that is subjective. Where would YOU go?) best pizza near Surf City?

Thanks

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time on Topsail!

Sounds like you have a fun week planned!

First of all, because it will be Memorial Day Weekend there will be lots of traffic in the Surf City area, particularly on highways 210/50 coming over the swing bridge. Tell your Marine friends to come onto the island through North Topsail instead of Surf City. They can either come out the back gate on Hwy 172 from the Courthouse Bay area aboard Camp Lejeune and then turn left onto Hwy 210 at the Four Corners in Sneads Ferry and stay on that all the way to Surf City, or if they are coming down Hwy 17 from Jacksonville they can get on Hwy 210 by the Dixon schools and head through Sneads Ferry and onto the island that way.

The grocery stores are going to be packed, and I mean ridiculously packed, Saturday afternoon. Either try to get there in the morning if you want to stock up on groceries (bring cooler for perishables) or wait until Sunday morning to do some grocery shopping.

I like the pizza from JT's Brick Oven (they deliver) which is on the mainland in Surf City in the Harris Teeter shopping center. I also like Max's Pizza, which is on the island near the swing bridge. Both Food Lion and Harris Teeter have really good take-and-bake pizzas in their deli section, too.

Among the places I like to go to eat that are in Surf City are Island Delights, Sears Landing and Daddy Mac's.

If you all want to go out to a few bars, I suggest calling Island Taxi http://rideislandtaxi.com/

They have cars, vans and even a bus so that your whole group can ride together.

Have fun, slather yourself up goo with sunscreen and drink lots of water.

If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
360 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time on Topsail!

Thank you for your response. We are driving down from the Boston area and we are staying Friday night in Jacksonville. We are bringing a good deal of "dry goods" from home and we intend to stock up in Jacksonville on Friday night. We figured it would cost less and be less crowded.

Thanks for the advice about the taxi. What bars would you recommend? We are not adverse to divey places!

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time on Topsail!

It's a good thing you're not adverse to dive bars, lol.

In Surf City there's the Brass Pelican, the Sandbar, the Trailer Bar, Buddy's and Gilligan's (on the mainland). There are a few more as well as some that are part of a restaurant.

Please note that if you want to take some beverages on the beach that glass bottles are strictly prohibited.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
360 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time on Topsail!

I read that, thanks! My booze tastes just fine in plastic, lol

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
188 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time on Topsail!

Sounds like you are doing some good planning. The Century 21 office in Surf City I assume is going to be where you check in is going to be in the heart of any traffic congestion. I would explore paying the extra fee for an early check in and also since you are going to be having a short drive in from Jacksonville.If you do the early check call a few days prior to your trip to get a confirmation. With the linens included they provide sheet sets for all the beds, one towel set each(wash cloth.hand towel, bath towel) for the number of people they state the house sleeps, also a kitchen set( couple of kitchen towels and dish rags, and a dish scrubbie)...I don't know how you crew is with towels etc...but I either bring extra or order extra...My goal is to do as little laundry as possible.We have rented with Century 21 numerous times and have never had any major issues.

The swing bring which will be your closest way off/on the island....It swings on the hour so you need to take that in account when crossing...and you definately want to come in via the high rise bridge on Saturday. There is small IGA grocery in Surf City which has a good supply of the basics and there is a Food Lion and a Harris Teeter across the swing bridge.

My favorite pizza is at Long Island Pizza, they also have really good salads, three cheese roll, and strombolis. I would also recommend Sears Landing and Beach Shop Grill in Surf City. The Riverview Cafe in Sneads Ferry has been in business decades...and serves the freshest of all seafoods and the best pie... directly behind is Everetts Seafood if you need to some fresh seafood for your ocean front cooking.

When you check in at the Century 21 make sure to pick up the weekly Topsail Advertisor and Topsail pamphlets...as they will give a good overview as to events/things that are going on the week you are there, high/low tides etc..

Hope you have a great vacation with many wonderful memories.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time on Topsail!

I second Long Island pizza. It's small, so less noisy than Max's.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
360 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time on Topsail!

I did get early check in . . 1:00 instead of 4:00. When we visited the island in February for recon (lol, son's term) We came onto the island in North Topsail and drove down and through Surf City. Is that the way you are suggesting we come down on Memorial Day weekend?

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time on Topsail!

Glad you got the early check-in!

Yes, that's the way to go, coming through North Topsail will save you a lot of hassle during Memorial Day Weekend.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
360 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time on Topsail!

Great, thanks!!

10. Re: First Time on Topsail!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Surf City
Recent Conversations