We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport

I'm buying a holiday home in Swan Quarter to be close to nature and the ferry to Ocracoke, but am struggling to find any information at all about local/nearby bus and rain services.

Where can I travel to from Raleigh/Durham airport which is nearest Swan Quarter? I can always get a taxi for part of the journey.

Many thanks.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport

The closest thing to public transportation would be Greyhound or Trailways to, perhaps, the town of Plymouth but I doubt you could even get a taxi from there, and the cost would be prohibitive. Then there is the problem of transport once you get there. Swan Quarter is literally in the middle of nowhere. You will need a car to get to even the most basic services. I think you should rent, or even purchase an automobile-there are deals to be had these days.

Swan Quarter has its own appeal but, if it's not too late, I would seriously consider looking at a more develope area, including the area between Beaufort and the Cedar Island ferry.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport

Gosh, that sounds pretty tough all round. Thanks for your points.

I wonder if it would be possible to strike up an arrangement with a local person I can pay to pick me up from the airport, as I'll only be over 2-3 times per year. It looks like it would be possible for me to fly to Greenville, which cuts down the distance a bit.

Raleigh
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport

I agree with Jeem, eastern North Carolina is a great place for lovers of nature (I'm one of them), but Swanquarter is very remote. You definitely need to visit before you buy to make sure it's what you're expecting.

Specific to your question, there is no public transport. You're best bet is to rent a car for a visit. This would be the least expensive by far, and allow you to get where you need to go. Don't worry about traffic in eastern NC, there's not much :-)

Look at flying into Raleigh. There's a direct flight from Heathrow. It's about a 3 hr drive (or less) to Swanquarter.

There are many other options for holiday homes in eastern NC. I'm sure you would be able to find something that has the natural beauty you're looking for with the right amount of services and development.

Best of luck and post other questions!

north carolina
Level Contributor
120 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport

I happen to love Swan Quarter- it's charming, the people are lovely and it's surrounded by nature. Of course, that means it's not terribly accessible, especially by any form of public transporation. I'd recommend flying into RDU (much less expensive than Greenville) and renting a car. There are agencies that do inexpensive long-term (month long) rentals and you wouldn't have to worry about getting a ride from the airport or into town or to do some sight-seeing on the coast. It seems a good option especially since you'll only be here a couple of times per year.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport

I think a lot of British and other Europeans often forget that in the United States, small towns and rural areas almost never have any public transportation. They are very very car-dependent. Even taxis are rare.

The only beach town I know of in North Carolina that has any bus system would be the Wilmington area. (Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.)

6. Re: Public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Swanquarter