We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 4, 2008

Virginia
1 post
Save Topic
July 4, 2008

What do you recommend to do for the 4th of July in Topsail or surrounding area?

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 4, 2008

We were there one year for the fourth. The condos and hotels put on fireworks, or you could go down to Wilmington where I understand they put on quite a 4th celebration.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 4, 2008

There are lots of July 4 celebrations in the greater Topsail area. Surf City has its fireworks show on July 3, and Holly Ridge and Sneads Ferry each have their shows on July 4.

In addition, there are fireworks shows at the Battleship in Wilmington, at Onslow Pines Park off Hwy 17 heading toward Jacksonville and on base at Camp Lejeune.

All the fireworks shows also have events and a festival-like atmosphere during the daytime hours leading up to the event.

However, if you don't want the crowds, there are lots of "illegal" fireworks set off up and down the beach all night long. I really enjoy watching that show, too.

MD
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 4, 2008

Okay, It depends on what you want. There are soooo many things going on. As others have stated there are fireworks on July 3 in Surf City and July 4 in sneads Ferry, Holly ridge. I will be down again that week and I know that I will be going on the newest attraction (secret for now) The Belle of Topsail. It is a replica of a riverboat and they do daily cruises. This is their first year on the Island. You can check them out at www.belleoftopsail.com. We went and had a great time. We are planning on going a couple of times that week. Love being on the water and having a beer! Have fun, maybe see ya

greensboro, north...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 4, 2008

There is one other event you might want to consider although it is a bit of a hike from Topsail and that is the 4th of July parade in Southport. (Southport is south of Wilmington) It is true Americana! Lots of flag waving, lots of firetrucks and Shriners on their small vehicles. Street vendors etc. NOthing big and fancy like a Rose Bowl parade, just a small town America parade -- the perfect parade for a jUly 4th celebration IMHO. It lasts a couple of hours (starts in the morning some time is my best recollection) but it was lots of fun.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 4, 2008

Here is a little more information on Fourth of July events.

Surf City the Independence Day Celebration:

July 3 at Soundside Park.

Concert at 6 p.m.

Fireworks display at 9 p.m.

Holly Ridge July Fireworks Celebration:

Holly Ridge Municipality Park on July 4.

Activities and concessions during the afternoon.

Fireworks start around 9:15 p.m.

Sneads Ferry fireworks:

July 4 at the Sneads Ferry Community Center.

Entertainment and food available.

Fireworks start when it gets dark.

Wilmington the Fourth of July Riverfront Celebration & Annual Battleship Blast:

July 4 from 5-10 p.m. downtown Wilmington.

There is a street fair and entertainment.

Fireworks start at 9:05 pm.

Jacksonville’s Fourth of July Freedom Festival:

July 4 at Onslow Pines Park from 2 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. There is a festival before the fireworks.

Fireworks start at 9:15 p.m.

Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune Fourth of July celebration:

July 4 at WPT Hill Field.

Activities and entertainment start at 5:30 p.m. The fireworks start at dark.

Open to the public.

Celebrate!

6. Re: July 4, 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach