We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather on Topsail in September?

upstate NY
Level Contributor
488 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weather on Topsail in September?

We have narrowed it down to two rental properties on Topsail, but I'm now getting a little nervous about what the weather will be like in late September. We'll be traveling 9/19 - 9/26. What are the air/ocean temps that time of year. For the past two years we have vacationed in Carolina/Kure Beach and it was hot with warm water temps. Since Topsail is quite a bit north of Cape Fear I'm worried that at that point in September it's not going to be warm enough to spend our days on the beach/in the ocean. Can anyone tell me what the weather is typically like in late September?

Thank you!

Patio Playground - the Putt-Putt
Theme Parks, Game & Entertainment Centres, Mini Golf
Missiles and More Museum
Natural History Museums, Military Museums
Ecological Marine Adventures
Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Boat Tours, Lessons & Workshops
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

Topsail is not that far north of Cape Fear-about a 45 minute to hour drive to Kure Beach. Less as the crows fly-it takes a lot of time to drive since you can't jump island to island.

You will find the weather and temps more or less exactly the same.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

Nice days and warm nights without all the humidity of summer - and the water is still warm. The end of September through mid November is my favorite time of the year on Topsail.

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

Thats the peak of Hurricane Season,There is still a lot of heat and humidty.Some milder days but still plenty hot.Water temps will still be in the mid 80s perfect for Hurricanes to form with the conditions that prevail in mid Septenber and October.Make sure you have renters insurance if you rent because the Towns do not hestitate to evacuate when a storm is hundreds of miles away.The Summer crowds will be gone and thats the good news.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

Renters insurance isn't a bad idea. We haven't had a mandatory evacuation in years but since you are used to vacationing on the North Carolina coast, you know that there is always a chance for a storm in the fall.

It's still my favorite time of the year.

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
upstate NY
Level Contributor
488 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

We will purchase renter's insurance (we always do). Out of curiosity, however, I thought hurricane season ran throughout the summer months. Is a hurricane more likely in the fall?

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

If you have renters insurance, relax, that is what it is for. Hurricanes form out in the ocean and don't just sneak up on you. IF and that's a BIG if any hurricane, or a tropical storm, forms while you are on Topsail you will have plenty of time to get away.

September is a beautiful time on the island, what few crowds there may be during the summer months, are thinned out by Sep. The weather is still hot as is the ocean. If your a fisherman (or woman) the fishing usually picks up also.

Only problem that I can think of, is that in September the bears are not in hibernation yet. ;)

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

Hurricane Season runs June 1st till November and we get them in November too.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

While the hurricane season does run through November, chances are slim to none that there will be a late season storm. A quick check of NOAA or any other weather related site will tell you that they aren't probable that time of year.

"November hurricanes that hit the USA are even rarer ... Only four hurricanes have hit the USA in November since 1900 and these were all were category 1 storms that hit Florida."

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

I love love love September in Topsail. I love to swim in the ocean and the water in topsail is still warm enough to swim in up to mid October. In September it is like bath water and no crowds. There are times the water is warmer than the outside temp. On days like that it is wonderful to walk along the waters edge barefoot, your feet are the warmest part on your body. We always go to Topsail in September and have only had to leave once and it was not mandatory. It was the year of Ophelia. I wanted to stay and watch but we did not :(

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather on Topsail in September?

Its twenty degrees right now and a very slight dusting of snow on the ground,But this week end its going to hit the 80s! I think I might venture to the north end and do some shelling and sight seeing.Anybody game? Might even have a pinic at one of the lovely parks at NTB.

Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach