We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay near the water

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
134 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay near the water

We are planning on visiting the area sometime in October. There will be my wife and I, two kids, and grandparents (6 people total). We would really like to stay in some sort of a vacation rental that is as close to the water as possible, if not right on it. We need at least 2 bedrooms but would prefer 3. We would also like to be near a fishing pier if possible. Our budget is around $150/night. The biggest catch that I am finding is that most places only rent by the week. We can only stay for two nights, so I need some help. Is this even possible to find a place that will do this, or do we just need to start looking at getting two hotel rooms? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay near the water

I think your budget is low for oceanfront homes. The problem I think is the fact that the owner will have to pay to have the cleaning done, and your budget, and the fact you only want to rent for 2 days, barely covers the cost. It might be easier to get a hotel. October is a great time to visit.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay near the water

I think given your budget and the length of your stay, some place like the Jolly Roger Inn & Pier might work well for you.

It's right on the water and, as the name states, has a pier. It's a nice long ocean pier that has a small grill and dining area, too.

Rooms are as low as $79 and efficiencies as low as $85 during October. Regular rooms have two full beds and efficiencies have one full bed, one queen sofa bed and a full kitchen. I got that information off their website. Perhaps you could get a couple of rooms right next to each other.

I don't know how old your kids are but Patio Playground with mini golf, arcade, ice cream, bike rentals, etc. is right across the street.

If you have your heart set on a beach house, I think what you should do is contact a couple of Realtors that do vacation rentals and ask them if there are any rentals during that time period that will do just a couple days at a time. I think the likelihood is somewhat slim but as the time gets closer there may be someone who would rather rent the place for a couple days than let it sit empty. Maybe.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
134 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay near the water

We don't need to be right on the water, but we would like to be within a couple blocks. We would also be fine staying at a hotel/resort, but we really need a separate room for one of our kids who is a light sleeper ( they are 3 & 1). We will look into the Jolly Roger Inn & Pier, though, it may work if we just get a couple rooms and split up the kids. We will also contact some realtors. Thanks for the help, and I'm sure we will have more questions as the time gets closer.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay near the water

In October the condos do not rent by the week. There may be a 3 night minimum for a condo, but check the Villa Capriani. Off season a two bedroom rents for $795 for a week, so I assume that would be in your budget. The Villa is the nicest condo complex on the island. Second choice would be the St Regis, they have an indoor pool, so that is nice, but they are not next to a pier. But surf fishin in October is EXCELLENT. The drums and the blues run in October. Both are right on the beach. The Villa has 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. The pools are still open until end of October and if the night air does not dip too low, the pools will still be warm enough to swim. There is a pier right next door to the Villa. Treasure realty has the biggest selection of rental properties available on the island.

treasurerealty.com/rentals/newnav/condos.htm

5. Re: Place to stay near the water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach