We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

Topsail Island...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

Is public access to the South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

There a possibility that public access to the beach around the South end of Topsail will be negatively impacted by the potential closing off of the public parking lot nearby. The Topsail Town Board tabled discussion on the matter of a lease requested by the propery owners where visitors have been parking for free for over 20 years.

The Southern tip of Topsail Island is probably the most visited area on the island by fisherpeople, walkers, shell hunters, bird watchers, and sunbathers. We all need to encourage the town to provide for the public interest in this area by leasing parking and keeping the access open.

surf city
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

The Homeowners at Serenity Point are have benefited from the Island migrating south and so they got hit with a higher Tax bill and now they want Us the Public to pay for it basicly.Shame on them for threatning to close it off to the Public.

Topsail Island...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

I don't think it is the Serenity Point land owners. Here is a link to the story from the Wilmington paper... starnewsonline.com/article/…120119921

I believe the five owners are a partnership that owns the entire South end. The Serenity Point lots do not go to the high water mark. I imagine the partnership originated with Mike Boryk, one of Topsail Beach's first mayors, and has been passed down over the years. As the inlet moved South, their acreage increased as the high water mark moved along with it.

They have made several attempts to develop the property, only to be shot down by the Town of Topsail Beach.... mostly through zonning. I can not imagine why the high tax reevaluation.

Maybe the town and county will forgive their taxes in exchange for continued use of the parking area by the public, since the area is so popular.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

Yeah, I don't see how the value can be taxed so high yet they aren't allowed to do anything with it. Maybe the land should be donated as a wildlife refuge!

Topsail Island...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

I'll be looking for all the details about this in the Topsail Voice tomorrow.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

Ta da..

topsailvoice.com/articles/2012/01/18/topsail…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

Thanks for the link. Interesting...

Post more links or send me a PM if you stumble across more news about this. I am somewhat interested and curious on a personal level because we are dealing with an obnoxious tax assessment raise on a property in Virginia. Our understanding is it may be illegal because VA law says you can't assess over the market value of the property. To raise the amount of taxes, you have to raise the rate of the tax i.e, cents on $100 of value so it is across the board for all, not targeting specific parcels of land. Curious how Pender county can get away with such a hike on a property that isn't zoned to make any money. If they don't have same laws in N.C., well thank goodness I'm in Virginia!

Topsail Island...
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

Here is a follow up story from the Wilmington paper...

starnewsonline.com/article/…

I'd really hate to see access to the South End of Topsail Island blocked. Let's hope something good comes out this proposed meeting.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

I believe the town and the owners will come to a compromise and work something out.

At the town retreat last week the commissioners said they were going to meet privately with the owners to talk about it.

Greensburg...
Level Contributor
76 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

They have it blocked off now, but I read they are doing shuttles this weekend? Wonder if I'll be able to find a parking space when we get there in June.....

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Access to South end of Topsail in jeopardy?

Tbelle be sure to let us know.

Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach