We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the beach like?

Grove City, OH
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
What is the beach like?

1st visit to Topsail at the end of the month and wondering what the beach is like. We are staying about 2 miles south of Surf City. Is the beach rocky and boogie boardable like Outer Banks or smooth and glassy like Hilton Head or Myrtle?

PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the beach like?

The beach is very nice at low tide. At high tide it pretty much comes up to the dunes which you are not supposed to walk on. So the long and short of it is that you have a lovely wide beach some of the time and other times it is not really that great.

The access to the beach is also a problem. The homes have stairs over the dunes down to the beach, but they are obstructed to a large degree by sand that covers them up part way, so you have to be a mountain goat and climb up shifting sands to where the dunes have not taken over the stairways. I am not sure if it is a result of the gross overbuilding or whether it would have happened anyway. Not a great situation for an older person. Bring a hiking stick.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
187 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the beach like?

We love the beach and ocean at Topsail Island.The beachs are not rocky...we have found some really nice sea glass, shells, and sharks teeth. Our last trip in March my friend found a very nice Great White tooth along with the more common teeth. Waves are present with people boogie boarding, surf boarding, kite surfing etc...Check out the Surfchex web-site they have a live web-cam near the Surf City Pier. Waves will vary related to the weather,tides etc..

It will depend on your location as to beach access...to the amount of shifting sand you will have to walk through to get to the stairs/beach. At our two favorite beach rentals we have not had any issues with accessing the beach related high tides, the dunes or large shifting sand or large stair ways.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the beach like?

Beach is closer to outer banks as far as waves go. Some days there can be great waves and others it can be relatively calm. The beach is usually only gone during very high tides. In the summer, there is usually still 6 feet of beach before the dunes. But I am referring to North topsail Beach and not Topsail beach at the south end. I believe the south end always has plenty of beach. As far as beach access, some home owners do not wish to remove the sand from the stairs as they feel this interferes with the dunes. Many places have easily accessible stairs.

4. Re: What is the beach like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2012, 14:47
5. Re: What is the beach like?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2012, 14:47
PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the beach like?

Please read my post. I never said that I walked up and down the dunes. I walked up and down the beach and at high tide it is a problem. But the fact that this beach is overbuit and the access is not good is known to all the natives, including the locals who we talked to while we were there. Be advised that you should be suspicious of people who post misleading information. I actually have photos of what I am talking about.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
187 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the beach like?

WandaMPa

My post, Astrid's and Moondance's posts should not viewed as misleading or suspicious. I viewed you pictures on your 7/11/12 review of your rental property. I agree accessing the beach on that property it would be very difficult and I would also express my unhappiness with such but to try to reference that all of Topsail Island beaches and accesses are not good is incorrect. Hope you find a beach you love because I have and it is Topsail.

Concord, North...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the beach like?

I think we can all agree that TI is THE place to be. We have been coming to Topsail for 19 years with our family and often just the 2 of us. The beach is like a magnet for us. It is clean, usually safe, and enough wave action to make it interesting. There used to be many fossilized shark teeth, easily found. They are still there, but not as many.

For rest rooms, showers, etc., try the public beach access #1 on rt 210 North Topsail Beach, a couple of miles north of the Surf City light. It can get crowded, though. If you don't need the extras, any of the other, many public beach accesses are fine & less crowded.

9. Re: What is the beach like?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2012, 14:49
10. Re: What is the beach like?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach