We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

After way more hours than I should of spent of searching for an ocean front, dog friendly (2 dogs, larger than the preferred small ;) in a beach that we have not been to before, we have narrowed it down to 2 VRBO rentals. The nicer & slightly cheaper one is in dog friendly North Topsail, the other one in Carolina Beach within a 5 minute walk of the year round dog friendly beach. I was originally looking at Carolina Beach because someone was giving me rave reviews about it but when I started having a hard time finding a rental I then moved my search to other beaches and that is when I found the one in North Topsail. Both are a bit over what we originally planned on spending :( In your opinion is it worth paying about a $100 more (for the week in September) for one not quite as nice to stay in Carolina Beach? When looking at info online, Carolina Beach appeals to me more but my husband really prefers the house in North Topsail. Am I just not finding good info on Topsail... Thanks!

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

Depending on where your rental is located on NTB, you may have very little beach left at high tide. I have friends who just went to Carolina, and they really liked it. The beach is now wide since they finished with the refurb job. Would like to throw another area at you. Check out the Islander Inn on Ocean Isle Beach. They are a pet friendly hotel. Also be sure to view all the visitors photos on each site, that may really help in making your choice. Good luck, I'm sure your dogs will enjoy either beach :)

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

I say go with whatever place you like the best. North Topsail Beach has recently had a beach nourishment so the beach is nice and wide. I especially like fall at the beach and think a September vacation sounds like a lot of fun.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

First let me start by saying that I love Topsail, and have never stayed at Carolina beach.

I think a lot will depend on your activities that you have planned. If you are looking for a quiet, beautiful, long sandy beach, North Topsail would be perfect, especially in September. A great place to grab some drinks, groceries a few books and kick back and relax at your beach house. On NT, there are very few restaurants, shops or bars within walking distance. So you will have to go by car for that. But the beach is the draw. Last winter they did have a large beach nourishment, and on our last visit (May) it was wonderful. Plenty of sand for all. There is a leash law on the island/beach.

If you do decide on North Topsail, I'd be happy to help you further! Planning another trip for August!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

Carolina Beach had the beach renourishment as well, so it is a nice, wide beach. Maybe a little more to do in the the town of Carolina Beach, plus you have Kure Beach right next door to the south and Ft. Fisher with the wonderful Aquarium, Ft. Fisher museum and the Ferry over to Southport. There are more options other than VRBO..so don't rule those out. Ocean Dunes in Kure is very nice, there is also a Marriott Courtyard in Carolina Beach and many other places to stay.

Johnson City...
Level Contributor
188 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

I understand your concern for wanting to find that right vacation spot/rental. I love Topsail Island...one of my favorite rentals is in North Topsail and a VRBO....what is the name of the rental and maybe I can give some feedback.

North Carolina USA
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

VRBO is a great search engine, but check out Treasure realty a website, they have the largest selection on Topsail Island and you can filter on amenities that you want, like ocean front, do friendly, pool etc.

7. Re: Carolina Beach vs Topsail Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Topsail Beach