We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Wanchese a unique experience for familes?

Hummelstown
Destination Expert
for Hershey
Level Contributor
436 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Is Wanchese a unique experience for familes?

I am trying to get some idea of what Wanchese is like. The literature calls it a traditional fisherman's village, so I assume it is not touristy. I guess my question is whether it is a unique experience for our family to have or if we would just be the oddballs driving through looking at people working hard?

If this is a good stop, what is the best time to go? How long do you think we would be there? I assume we would walk around a bit and then have a meal.

Thanks for the input.

5 replies to this topic
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Wanchese a unique experience for familes?

Wanchese is not a place I would suggest you visit unless you want to go to Fishermans Warf to eat.

Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Wanchese a unique experience for familes?

I don't recommend making the trip to Wanchese or even eating at Fisherman's Wharf. There are lots of better restaurants in the OBX.

Wanchese is not the "typical fishing village" that you are probably picturing in your mind. There are a bunch of over sized warehouses where seafood processing is done as the boats unload their catch. There is nothing picturesque about it or even interesting.

If you want the fishing village experience, drive down to Hatteras.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Wanchese a unique experience for familes?

If you are a boat builder it is the perfect place. Other than that it will probably be a disappointment.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Wanchese a unique experience for familes?

Basically an industrial area with fishing boats , If your into that yeah it is a cool place to visit . Personally I like seeing all the boats in different stages of repair and being built too.

Wanchese, North...
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Wanchese a unique experience for familes?

wanchese is NOT a tourist destination. it's residential mainly, with boat shops and a few fish houses. no stores, nothing to do, only one restaurant, which isn't the fisherman's wharf that visitors have experienced in the past. same name, different people.

Reply to: Is Wanchese a unique experience for familes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wanchese