We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balsam Mountain Preserve Golf Course

Morrisville, North...
Level Contributor
17 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Balsam Mountain Preserve Golf Course

I visited my parents house in Waynesville, NC near Asheville, NC and had the pleasure of playing a round at the new Arnold Palmer course at Balsam Mountain Preserve near Sylva, NC in Jackson County.

I was stunned.

I have played most of the best courses in North Carolina. Others will get the buzz and have the mindhshare (Pinehurst, Coastal, etc.) but this is one of the best of the best. My personal favorites are Grandfather and Elk River but this one is better.

But, bring plenty of a golf balls as it is one brutal mountain course. 6,800+ yard from the tips and you have to have the accuracy of a pro to hit the fairways. and, if you don't hit the fairways, forget finding your ball.

But, all around, its one of the best I've ever played. My brother and I were awestruck at the views, and really taken in by the course design. Excellent!

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balsam Mountain Preserve Golf Course

That sounds like fun. Their website doesn't have much specific info about the course, though. Another website said greens fees were $90 to ride 18 holes. Is that right?

I played at Lake Junaluska a few weeks ago. Beautiful greens, but it's layout was a little unsual and even a little confusing. The fairways were a little dissapointing, too. On one of the par 3's, I had to drive between the poles of a 3-pole transmission line structure.

I've been looking forward to playing the Maggie Valley Club. It sounds like Balsam Mountain Preserve has to be added to the list.

waynesville
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Balsam Mountain Preserve Golf Course

BradMac:

Stay away from Maggie Valley Club! I heard in the last year they've been taken over by some MGMT company and the general manager, pro & greens keeper have been fired. I heard the proshop and the course this year suck compared to last year. I've also heard from the locals in Waynesville, NC, that the club may be in foreclosure or something. I would play Laurel Ridge instead of maggie valley. The rates are the same and the last time I played at The Maggie Valley Resort, the spriklers came on during my round and I couldn't finish. I heard this is why several members have been leaving lately.

Hope this helps.

waynesville
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Balsam Mountain Preserve Golf Course

I too have heard the same from Maggie Valley Club. Recently I played in the Smokey Mtn. 54-hole 4 ball and I definetly could tell the difference. Last year Maggie Valley hosted the tourny with a golf pro named Mike. This year is was terrible compared to last year. I will not be playing in this event next season due to the changes at Maggie. I wouldn't be surprised by the foreclosure because I haven't seen a lot of traffic on the course when I've been there. Also, their rates are $50 more than the courses in Asheville! Why would I pay $85 to play this course when it is really a $25 golf course? As you can see, I'm a little upset with the way Maggie Valley tells you their in the top 50 Southern Resorts! Hey Maggie Valley, have you ever heard of Pinehurst, Grove Park Inn, Doral or Greenbrier? Would you like me to name the next 100 w/out you?

4. Re: Balsam Mountain Preserve Golf Course

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Waynesville