We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

Archbald...
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

Of the beaches near Wilmington, which would someone recommend for a Family guy.

A couple little kids, 4 and 5.

Looking for Good beach, slow pace, some other things to do for the kids past the beach, nice hotels right on the beach.

Kure? Wrightsville? Topsail? Carolina? Other?

Thanks!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

I've been to Carolina and Kure lots of times with my family. Love it!!!

Nice Aquarium just to the south of Kure Beach. Ferry boat ride over to Southport too. Kids love that!

We stayed at a condo in Kure the last time we were there....wonderful place. Kure Beach also has a neat pier to walk out on. Pelicans all over the place. Nice, but tacky, gift shop there too.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,449 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

bump again for jdkpa

Fairborn, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

I agree with Carolina/Kure beaches. I think there is more to do around Carolina Beach. Besides the aquarium, there is a ferry at Ft. Fisher that goes over to Southport (little town with some good restaurants and little shops).

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

#1 choice-Wrightsville Beach

#2 choice-Kure Beach

I say this because I grew up in that area and these are the most family friendly. Keep in mind that Wrightsville is much closer to Wilmington than Carolina or Kure. I would reccommend visiting Wilmington during yor trip. It is steeped in history and is home to the U.S.S. North Carolina, which you can tour if you are interested.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

I would recommend Wrightsville over Kure/Carolina and definately over Topsail. All nice beaches, but if you are looking for something to do, there is simply more to do in Wrightsville. There is Jungle Rapids, the Kids museum, a GREAT playground at Hugh McRae park, etc. There is also a small playground at the beach on Greensboro street. We stay there and take one day for a day trip, stopping in C.Beach for great homemade donuts, hitting the aquarium, leaving in time to make the ferry, remembering to take bread for the gulls on the ferry, eating lunch at Provision Company at the docks in Southport, then come back the "quick" way through Wilmington while the kids nap.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

I absolutely fell in love with the Wilmington area beaches last time I was in town - the dunes and tall grasses and the great expanses of fine white sand ... wow.

My stay was brief, but I never found a public access site onto Wrightsville Beach that had freshwater showers. I suspect they exist, but couldn't find them where I was (far south end of the beach - nice access, just no apparent showers). Anyone know where they might be along this beach?

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

There are outdoor showers at the Johnny Mercer's pier access. Bathrooms as well, although they are as lovely, after a long beach day, as you would expect..................

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

Thank-you! We'll look for the showers and steer clear of the bathrooms ...

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

You all have been very helpful!

I am looking for a nice quiet beach in this area - some friends and I are stopping for only a day on our way to SC, and would like to find a nice hotel on the beach. Recommendations?

Or, is there a better place to stop, further south perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

10. Re: Wilmington Beaches? Best Choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 10:25