We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to buy a small coastal home

san diego
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to buy a small coastal home

My husband and I are visiting the NC coast for the first time next month. We are looking to buy a small NEW patio home on or near a golf course. Last year we purchased a new loft in downtown Charlotte (4th ward). That is the property we would likely sell to purchase the coastal home. We live in San Diego (both natives)and own two properties here. While we love our town, it is getting too crowded and the freeways and commute stink!

So here's the question--- where should we look?? We will be staying in Calabash at a "plantation" (odd word, with a very negative connotation tho I understand its historic meaning).

Anyone familiar with the Wilimington area? Places to look for new homes? We want to stay in the $200k -225k price range; we know we'll be getting a small property, which is fine. We are not interested in anything south of Calabash, nor north of Wilmington.

We love North Carolina. What a great state! Though we are died-in-the-wool liberals, we feel completely at home in this most red of states. And frankly, NC seems to have a far better environmental record than CA.

Any advice is welcome.

WV
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to buy a small coastal home

Can I move in with you? I plan on moving to or very near the Wilmington area within the next year. I absolutely love the area! I doubt I can afford a "golf home" but that is my ultimate dream.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to buy a small coastal home

We own a vacation home on Holden Beach, one of the barrier islands in Brunswick County, NC. We love it there, but it seems that the entire area has been "discovered" in the past few years. In the past 10-15 years we’ve seen what was a beautiful natural barrier island dotted with quaint beach cottages turn into an overdeveloped large strip of sand. I fear the future development will erase most of the beauty and charm of this entire area of our state. Property values are going crazy, and developments, including golf course communities are popping up everywhere.

My husband is a golf nut and plays a lot at the beach. He enjoys a number of the courses in and around Brunswick County. One of his favorites is at Brick Landing Plantation near Ocean Isle beach. The community there is very nice as well. We've been to several outings at the clubhouse there located directly on the waterway. It is very nice.

Another community we've visited is St. James Plantation. It is near the lovely little historic seaside town of Southport. (which I pray stays that way) St. James also has property on/access to, the Intercoastal waterway and a private oceanfront beach club. There are several very nice golf courses. Winding River Plantation is also right in that area, and is also very nice. It also offers both Intercoastal Waterway access and a private beachfront club. My husband is a huge Freddie Couples fan and really loves the golf course –Carolina National, that Fred designed there.

I'm sure that these communities on the Waterway are more expensive than golf course communities that are located on the other side of HWY.17. However, if I owned a golf course community type home, I still wouldn't want to be without access to the water. I love the beach, the water, and I love my boat!

One other very nice community very near Holden Beach that offers both golf and Waterway access is Lockwood Folly. It is an older community but it is quite beautiful under all the huge old oak trees. The golf course there is also highly rated. I’m not sure if there is any new construction there, however.

You will find that many of these golf course and seaside communities do have “Plantation” it their name; I don’t see it as a negative and I don’t think you’ll find many other people especially around this area that view the word “plantation” as negative. If you visited a beautiful Pineapple plantation in Hawaii would you view that as negative? Yes, I know what you are referring to; however, we southerners don’t dwell on the negatives of past history; just learn from the past and move on. We are proud of much of our heritage including the plantations once found throughout the south. We see the natural beauty surrounding those large old magnificent southern estates; rather than the negative, of how fellow human beings were treated in acquiring and maintaining such large fine properties.

A Plantation by definition is: An extensive landed property (especially in the country) The place planted; land brought under cultivation; a piece of ground planted with trees or useful plants. I saw no definition that even mentioned slavery.

Southern plantations bring to mind large beautiful homes, under huge gracious old oak trees, with Spanish moss dripping from their limbs, and gently swaying in the breeze.

-It sounds like just the place many of us dream of living!

As for being a “dyed in the wool liberal”; you’ll find here in NC that most of us don’t define ourselves on a day-by-day basis, as liberal or conservative; Republican or Democrat. For the most part we all live and work together, and care about each other and our communities. We debate loudly before elections and forget the differences soon after. Most everyone I know has some liberal as well as conservative ideas. As a whole our elected officials have always done what they believed was in the best interest of our communities and the state, not follow some strict liberal or conservative agenda. That’s probably why our environmental record looks so much better than others.

Best Wishes!

wilmington, nc
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to buy a small coastal home

Ditto to the UNC post. We have been found and if you want to stay in that price range you will be several miles from water. Also, property insurance is set to increase in October 2005. East of the ICW (intracoastal waterway) will have a insurance increase of 50% and all us other coastal folks will see a 30% hike thanks to the hurricanes.

In Brunswick Co. try the Lockwood Folly /Sunset HArbor area. That is about the last area where prices have not gone through the roof.

Check out the following links (go to the real estate section). There you can check prices and shop around. I also know a few good and HONEST agents if you are serious. - http://www.southport-oakisland.com/

http://www.insiders.com/wilmington/index.htm

And hey...I'm a enviromental liberal too!!!

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to buy a small coastal home

You need to check out Bald Head Island. Just across the channel from Southport, NC. I think it would be perfect for you. They don't allow cars on the island, only golf carts. Fit right in with your liberal views. Expect to pay more though.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to buy a small coastal home

Sadly, the prices in coastal NC have gotten very much out of hand because of all the freaking Boomers from the Northeast buying up every property in sight at ungodly prices. Some are flippers and some just want vacation or 3rd homes.