We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family in Wilmington -suggestions for nearby place to stay

Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Family in Wilmington -suggestions for nearby place to stay

HI

We have family in Wilmington and were planning on a visit next year - what time of year would be good and also looking for recomendations for a place to spend a few days - thought maybe Myrtle Beach,Hilton Head or somewhere with lakes/things to do for kids aged 12 and 10. Never been before so completely new to this area

Thanks

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family in Wilmington -suggestions for nearby place to stay

Early in the fall is the best time to visit. The rates drop but the weather is nice and the water is warm.

Myrtle Beach is only an hour and a half away and it is very touristy. It has everything kids would want for entertainment (go karts, minature golf, water parks, etc..). If you want a more scenic and cultural experience Charleston, Hilton Head, and Savannah are great.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family in Wilmington -suggestions for nearby place to stay

I agree with previous poster, fall is a good time to visit. I would also say that spring is a good time, April-May. Don't get me wrong, summer is nice, but it can be hot.

If your kids like thinks like miniature golf, go carts, water parks, etc. Myrtle Beach has all of that - LOTS of it. Lots of chain retail and restaurants. If you do decide to come in summer, Myrtle Beach can be a traffic nightmare.

If it were my first time, I would maybe spend a few days staying in Historic District of Charleston (or Savannah) then maybe a few days in Myrtle. That way, both the adults and the kids have something to do and to look forward to. Savannah is about 5 hrs from Wilmington, Charleston is a little over 3. Hilton Head is a nice beach but it's a long drive from Wilmington if you're going for just the beach.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family in Wilmington -suggestions for nearby place to stay

Thank you for all your comments - may look at Eastertime next year

Lawton, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family in Wilmington -suggestions for nearby place to stay

all good recommendations.. i also agree sept-oct is the best time on the carolina beach's.. no crowds, beautiful warm weather.. only downfall is that it's still hurricane season.. easter is a good time but the water is cold and can still be a bit chilly at nights..

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
345 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family in Wilmington -suggestions for nearby place to stay

I agree the spring is best when all is blooming! June thru Aug is VERY hot and humid. Myrtle Beach is 1to 1 1/2 hrs away, and Charleston is approximately 3 hrs away, I would try and do both if possible.

6. Re: Family in Wilmington -suggestions for nearby place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Wilmington
Recent Conversations