We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need ideas for fun outdoor things for kids

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Need ideas for fun outdoor things for kids

I am heading down to our place in WB this week and it will just be me and the kids most of this trip. I will not be able to watch all three in the surf safely except in the high tide pools, etc.(the twin 6 year olds are not strong swimmers) so I am trying to find other things to do outside that they will enjoy. Preferably, it would be on the water, so they will not miss the beach. We know about most of the area play grounds, the aquarium, jungle rapids, the museums, the ferry (we have been going to WB for ages). Specifically, does anyone know of any guided (or unguided) nature hikes, or boat trips or whatever, where they can see wildlife or get out and explore, etc. I am not really looking for a harbor cruise type thing, more of an adventure, hands on, type thing. The youngest are 6 and not strong swimmers so kayaking is out, but I think boats are fine. We just want to be outside, exploring.

Any great thoughts?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
354 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need ideas for fun outdoor things for kids

I know there are a few different options that I have been trying to find for ya. So far I found this Eco cruise that may be a lil bit different. Here's the link...

http://www.capefearnaturalist.com/crusie.html

I know Ft Fisher sometimes does hands on stuff for smaller children at the aquarium. I also would say maybe do the 20 minute drive up to the Sea Turtle rescue and sanctuary kids love that stuff. And if your also looking for something to do just to get out of the sun for a while. Tus and Wed the Movie theater over at Mayfaire (by wrightsville beach) has FREE kids movies. They usually offer 2 choices of movies that are a lil older, but its air conditioned and the WHOLE family is free, you dont have to purchase a thing. Good luck!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
354 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need ideas for fun outdoor things for kids

www.allaboutwilmington.com/kidstuff.htm

3. Re: Need ideas for fun outdoor things for kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 09:24