We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Wilmington NC

Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Hotels in Wilmington NC

I will be taking my granddaughter to Wilmington in March to visit her boyfriend who is stationed there. I have made reservations at the Holiday Inn on Market St because they have an airport shuttle. Can anyone tell me what kind of area it is located in? Her boyfriend will be with us for 1 night but we will be alone for 4 nights and will not have a car. I would like to spend 1 night downtown but the prices are so high. Can anyone give me recommendations?

Wilmington, North...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Wilmington NC

Market St. is not condusive to enjoying yourself without a car. There are things to do downtown, but as you say too expensive. Market street can be dangerous after dark (as well as downtown).If you do not have a vehicle, my suggestion would be to look to Wrightsville Beach. It is a short ride 15 minutes from ILM but the days should be warmer in March to enjoy the beach. The water will still be cold and their are shops. There is a walking trail around town and some great resturants. Blue Water & Oceanic are two.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
360 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Wilmington NC

Ok Im assuming your granddaughters boyfriend is either in Jacksonville (Marine) or Fayetteville (army)? If he is in Jville I'd say consider Topsail Island or Surf city if you just want the beach for a cheaper price. But if you want Wilmington in particular, then there are a couple nicer places to stay than say Market St. The good news is, we do have Taxi's that can help with the driving situation, and I would recommend it if your going downtown late or drinking. Wrightsville beach, is the higher priced side of town, so I dont know if it would be cheaper per say. Innkeeper was always a reasonable, clean hotel on Market that was well priced, and it is next to an IHOP and across the street from a Super Walmart, very well lit and safe. When you head to other side of Market towards downtown, its not so great. Here is some options that I recommend in nice areas, not sure price wise if there cheaper but here goes:

Residence Inn Wilmington Landfall

1200 Culbreth Drive

Wilmington, NC 28405

(910) 256-0098‎

TownePlace Suites Wilmington‎

305 Eastwood Rd, Wilmington, NC‎ - (910) 332-3326

Hampton Inn Wilmington‎

124 Old Eastwood Rd, Wilmington, NC‎

Innkeeper of Wilmington‎

5345 Market St, Wilmington, NC‎ - (910) 799-4292‎

Hilton Garden Inn Mayfaire‎

6745 Rock Spring Rd, Wilmington, NC‎ - (910) 509-4046‎

Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach

307 Eastwood Road, Wilmington, NC‎ - (910) 791-8082‎

Landfall Park Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington / Wrightsville Beach‎

1989 Eastwood Rd, Wilmington / Wrightsville Beach, NC‎ - (910) 256-9600‎

Hope this helps, email me if ya have any other questions!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
360 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Wilmington NC

Oh I forgot to mention the B&B's, not sure if you like that sort of thing, but they may be a cheaper alternative and include a meal. I have never stayed at one downtown, but its another idea

http://www.thewilmingtonian.com/home.htm

and many more, good luck!

4. Re: Hotels in Wilmington NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Wilmington