We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best gardens to visit?

Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N.C.
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best gardens to visit?

I'm going to be in Wilmington for a few days next week and want to visit a few gardens while I'm there. I may not have time for them all, so I'm wondering which are the best of Airlie Gardens, the Arboretum and Orton Plantation (I know that's a bit out of town)? Am I missing a nearby garden I should see?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
345 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best gardens to visit?

I believe the Airlie Gardens is part of the Arboretum so you can see it all in a couple hours. I LOVED Orton plantation, when in full bloom this place is stunning. Its kind of a bummer you cant tour the plantation house because the family still lives in it, but you can tour a cute lil church and walk the gardens. I dont recall this self tour as lasting more than an hour and a half. If you are coming for the Azalea festival you may see alot of private gardens for a fee. Not sure if you have the time or not, but there is also Brookgreen gardens, about a hour and half from here in SC, thats suppose to be great. Here is the link..

http://www.brookgreen.org/

Hope this helps!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
284 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best gardens to visit?

This time of year is perfect to view the area gardens! We hit Orton Plantation last year at its peak for azaleas and the other spring blooms and were very impressed.

It's easy to reach--17S to 133S.

You've mentioned them all in the Wilmington area. We plan to drive down to Brookgreen in a few days, but that's south of Myrtle Beach, SC.

N.C.
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best gardens to visit?

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately it turns out I'll have less time there than I'd thought, so it'll be even harder to fit them all in. Maybe I could do Orton in the morning and the other two in the afternoon...?

I've always wanted to go to Brookgreen, but it's not to be this trip, alas.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
284 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best gardens to visit?

You could do that. Orton isn't huge like some. It has been the site for at least one movie, "Firestarter" (I think that's it) with Drew Barrymore several years ago. The late Frank Capra, Jr. picked the location and later moved to Wilmington.

5. Re: Best gardens to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Wilmington
Recent Conversations