We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turtle watching on the coast

Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Linden, Michigan
Level Contributor
474 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
turtle watching on the coast

Hello,

My dream is to view sea turtles laying eggs or the babies actually hatching and going off to sea. I know Bald Island has some sort of program but I think you have to join the conservancy. There must be other places along the Atlantic Coast to view this. Can someone please help me out? What month is the best time----June, July, or August??

Thanks

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: turtle watching on the coast

check out this NC Aquarium site....look at "Wed. and Sun" Nite Trek...

ncaquariums.com/pine-knoll-shores/programs/o…

Linden, Michigan
Level Contributor
474 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: turtle watching on the coast

Thank you!!! I emailed them just now. $8 is a bargain compared to a membership at Bald Island!

Milwaukee
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: turtle watching on the coast

We have been going to Holden Beach, NC for 20 some years now - they have a turtle organization there. In the early years we used to go in August, which is when they hatch. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen!! There were not a lot of people and anyone who was staying there who happened along were welcome to witness the turtles being hatched and going out to sea. The organization helps the turtles out to sea with flash lights, because otherwise they don't know what light to follow - they may end up following the street lights. From your enthusiasm, you probably know this much!!

N Carolina
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: turtle watching on the coast

http://www.seaturtlehospital.org/ You could try to contact the sea turtle hospital on Topsail Beach NC. This is located on a beach North of Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach. They would be able to answer your questions about sea turtles and possibly be able to show you some.

Topsail Island
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: turtle watching on the coast

They are always looking for Volunteers to watch Turtle Nest and walk the beach looking for new ones.ContactThe Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Hospital and ask for Jean Beasley.

Linden, Michigan
Level Contributor
474 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: turtle watching on the coast

Is Holden Beach near Topsail Beach and is there anyone at Holden I can contact to confirm before visiting? That sounds like my best bet to view the turtles. I would love to watch them hatch!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: turtle watching on the coast

Hey there MarlaB -

Below I will provide you with a link for the Holden Beach Turtle Watch Program. Not sure how quick you can get to HB but they are having their first meeting (for the public) on the 17th of June. :) I myself have been in touch with Linda Purcell (via eamil) and she was very nice, and got back to me right away with the information I happen to be looking for.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

http://www.hbturtlewatch.org/

Holden Beach Turtle Watch Program

Linda Purcell

Contact E-mail: hbturtlesaver@hotmail.com

8. Re: turtle watching on the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 05:39