We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly moving to Wilmington -- best itinerary

Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Possibly moving to Wilmington -- best itinerary

My husband and I are considering moving to the Wilmington area, and we may take a few days soon to check it out. What would be a good way and the best itinerary to get to know the city and surrounding communities in a three day time frame? I am an elementary teacher, and I would like to find a good district/school within a 30 minute drive from where we settle. My husband is in IT.

Where should we start? Thanks!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
290 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly moving to Wilmington -- best itinerary

We retired s. of Wilmington 3 yrs. ago so I don't know which school districts are considered good. A growing area very near Wilmington is northern Brunswick County. The towns would be Leland (largest town in Brunswick County, I think) and Belville. There is growing retail and restaurants in that area along Hwy. 17 and it's just about 10 minutes over the Cape Fear Bridge to Wilmington in New Hanover County. Of course Wilmington has a much larger population and range of housing.

If you want to see the main commercial areas of Wilmington, drive around on Oleander, College Road, Eastwood, Military Cutoff. You'll see most of the retail areas and restaurants. UNCW in on College Road, obviously. The bulk of medical offices are on or close to 16th/17th Street where the large New Hanover Hospital is located.

Historic downtown is pleasant in the daytime along the riverfront. If you go down 3rd to Market you'll find downtown and the riverwalk.

For housing and school information you could contact the local visitors' bureaus and/or a realtor.

sorry I'm not more help, but I saw that no one had replied and I hope a little information will get you started.

If you do move here, be sure you find out what your home insurance and flood insurance costs will be. Coastal areas recently had a huge increase and we now pay twice as much for our home insurance costs as we do property taxes. NC has a graduated state income tax also, which has hurt us financially even though we thought we did our homework before moving.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly moving to Wilmington -- best itinerary

This is a TRAVEL forum.

3. Re: Possibly moving to Wilmington -- best itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 13:47