We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
391 posts
287 reviews
Save Topic
Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

My husband and I are doing a roadtrip and have 6th and 7th May scheduled for Wilmington.

Please can anyone tell us the best area / hotel to stay here in order for us to see all the highlights in just 2 days.

Also - would it be better to stay in Southport instead?

Please forgive me, I have no idea, I just know this is an area we've had suggested for us to visit on the way to Charleston from Williamsburg.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Southport
Southport
North Carolina Coast, NC
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

Lots of choices in Wilmington for you. No matter where you stay you will certainly be able to see Wilmington in two days. Without knowing your interests there are downtown hotels right on the river(Hilton, Best Western) that will give you the enjoyment of the Cape Fear River and additionally lots of restaurants and bars. Within a very short walk you wil find some great historic area with beautiful houses.

If the beach captures you interest I would suggest either Wrightsville Beach or Carolina- Kure Beach area. Staying st the beach you are still close enough to Wilmington to explore...but the beach will give you some beautiful walks and enjoyment. This link http://www.ncbeaches.com/NewHanoverBeaches/ should give you a great choice of accomadations. Hope you enjoy Wilmington.

Mentioned in this post
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Cape Fear River
Cape Fear River
201 Reviews
Wilmington, NC
Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach
North Carolina
Kure Beach
Kure Beach
North Carolina Coast, NC
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
52 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

Agree with Keepyourbags. Also, while Southport has it's charm, it is small and sleepy, not a lot to do. Stay in Wilmington and then take the Fort Fisher ferry to Southport (nice 30 min ride). Lunch in Southport at Provisions or Fishy Fishy and then take Rt 211 to Rt 17 on to Charleston. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Southport
Southport
North Carolina Coast, NC
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Charleston
Charleston
Melton Mowbray...
Level Contributor
391 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

Thank you both for your advice - it's very much appreciated.

I was looking at the Hilton and Best Western last night as they look great locations but to be honest, they look really run down, and the reviews confirm it. This is a real shame are they are ideal locations.

So what we are looking at at the moment is B&Bs close to the river, we've seen a few nice ones and are weighing it up, hoping to book in the next few days.

The beach sounds great but with only a coupleof days to explore we thought it might be best to situate ourselves in the area where theres most to see.

PatriciaK - your idea about going over to Southport the day we leave (as it sounds like it's on the way to Charleston) sounds good.

Thanks again - your help is invaluable!

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Southport
Southport
North Carolina Coast, NC
Charleston
Charleston
Summerville, Georgia
Level Contributor
82 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

If you want a B & B, try the Calrendon Inn. Being a "semi local" (45 minutes away, wife works in Wilm), we have never actually stayed in Wilmington. I do however have friends who have chosen the Clarendon Inn when they were in town and thought it to be spectacular. If you are looking more a regular hotel, I would suggest the Mayfair area. Reasonably close to the beach, reasonably close to downtown, and plenty of stuff to eat and do (granted it's all chains, but convenient). If you go down to the Riverfront, I love Elijah's for dinner and if you go to Wrightsville Beach, I love Bluewater for dinner there. Take the time to go see Airlie Gardens while you're in town, I consider it a treasure, and for many visitors I have noticed it often gets overlooked. It is a wonderful, relaxing way to spend a morning or afternoon. If you are history buffs, Fort Fisher is interesting as is the Battleship North Carolina. If you venture into Carolina Beach, you HAVE TO go to Britt's Doughnuts. You owe it to yourself :) Hope these suggestions help, enjoy your time in NC!

Mentioned in this post
Wilmington
Wilmington
North Carolina Coast, NC
Elijah's Restaurant
Elijah's Restaurant
1,151 Reviews
Wilmington, NC
Wrightsville Beach
Wrightsville Beach
North Carolina
Airlie Gardens
Airlie Gardens
912 Reviews
Wilmington, NC
Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
2,993 Reviews
Wilmington, NC
Carolina Beach
Carolina Beach
North Carolina
Summerville, Georgia
Level Contributor
82 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

Oh also if you go downtown, Front Street Brewery is a lot of fun, good food, and local brew if that is your thing.

Mentioned in this post
Front Street Brewery
Front Street Brewery
1,996 Reviews
Wilmington, NC
Summerville, Georgia
Level Contributor
82 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

Well I should've read your post better, you've already been here :) Maybe someone else will find it helpful, and I hope you enjoyed yourselves!

7. Re: Wilmington for 2 nights in May - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Wilmington
Recent Conversations