We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

Me and my g/f are planning to visit NC from 6/30 till 7/8. We are planning on either staying at the North Myrtle beach area or the Wilmington area near Wrightsville beach. The problem is i heard that North Myrtle beach area can be quite apcked during the 4th of July week. So if we do decide to go to North Myrtle beach, should we go the weekend before or after the 4th? If neither is the answer and we should stay away, then would Wilmington be a good choice. We are both in our late 20s and likes to explore the city as well as the nature.

Thank you!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,607 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

Wilmington is a beautiful city...you would love it. Wilmington is not, however...on the ocean. (looks like it on the map though) Wrightsville Beach is the closest. But we love Carolina/Kure Beach area just to the south. Shouldn't be too crazy crowded in that area.( During the week would be an ever better idea)

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

fyi - every beach is crowded around the 4th of july. that said, id rather go anywhere than north myrtle.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

How come?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

4th of July week is the busiest week of the year in North Myrtle. It will also be extremely busy at the surrounding beaches to Wilmington. Don't think the weekend before or after will give you much relief from the crowds. If you like to explore historic cities, the beaches near Wilmington may be a better choice as Wilmington is great. There are a couple smaller towns worth exploring a short drive from NMB (Georgetown and Conway). If the beach itself is your #1 priority, I'd choice North Myrtle.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
355 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

Yeah I would NOT go to Myrtle the 4th weeked but maybe 2 weeks before and Dunes Village resort is a nice place in the NEW tower. Myrtle is more commercial ( alot of stores and clubs)and Wilmington is smaller and more historical with also decent shopping. Our town has different sections that are enjoyable for all within a 15 min drive.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

Stay away from N. Myrtle Beach over fourth of July. That is an incredibly busy time. Also, isn't the week before Bike Week (as in thousands of Harleys)? Unless you and your g/f are into mini golf and amusement parks, I would recommend Wrightsville Beach. I don't know how much you are willing to spend, but your choice on or near the beach may be limited this late. However, check with Intracoastal Realty for condo rental or try the Holiday Inn Sunspree, Blockade Runner, Surf Suites, Summer Sands, Shell Island, or the Sand Peddler. All but the Sunspree and Blockade Runner will give you a living room and a kitchenette.

If you are less interested in beach and more in a romantic time, consider the B&B's and Inns in historic downtown Wilmington. My favorites include The Rose Hill Inn, The Wilmingtonian, The Verandahs, and The Front Street Inn. Drive to the beach, but not on the 4th itself. Too crowded. There are public parking lots (use a credit card or have plenty of cash - I believe it is $2 an hour), but they tend to fill up around 10-10:30.

7. Re: Wilmington/North Myrtle hotel or B&B. Need your advice!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 21:15