We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip to Wilmington,NC

Raleigh,NC
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One day trip to Wilmington,NC

I am taking a one day trip to Wilmington,NC from Raleigh. Does anyone know of some waterside restaurants? Also, any suggestions regarding house or garden tours? Thank you.

NC mountains
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

The Pilot House was very good. Our party had frog legs, oysters, catfish, and crab. Great views of the water and the Battleship. Lunch prices were very reasonable, and there was no wait around 3pm or so.

Wilmington, NC
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

As far as house tours go, many people visit the Bellamy Mansion on Market St. There are several homesites downtown; I'd try the riverfront visitors' info bureau for brochures, etc. The library downtown [at 3rd and Chestnut Streets] also has several brochures in the lobby.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

The Latimer House is a favorite for gardens.

For a tour ride around town we went with wilmingtontrolley.com/

We also enjoyed a trip on the riverboat docked at Water Street and Dock St. You see the open spaces, the mansions, etc. from the wide river.

You might be interested in this article from NYTimes on Wilmington in 36 Hours:http://travel2.nytimes.com/2004/09/24/travel/escapes/24HOUR.html?ex=1146888000&en=b3fe06c67ec22ae5&ei=5070

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

REstaurants....Water St. if it looks inviting ot sit outside as you walk along the water; Elijah's, Pilot House, waterfront. Riverboat Landing...maybe get one of those balconies overlooking the water if the weather allows; Deluxe is another favorite, although not waterfront. You can google them for their sites/menus.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

In Downtown Wilmington, especially at this time of year, I reccommend The George Restaurant on Water street. They have an outdoor seating area right on the boardwalk next to the river. I had dinner there a few nights ago and it was very pleaseant. The food was good and setting was even better. You have views of the Battleship and the Cape Fear Bridge. While we were there a large ship was heading up river and it was pretty neat. Check it out.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

Try to visit Arlie Gardens. The location is off Oleander Drive towards Wrightsville Beach.

http://www.airliegardens.org/index.jsp

For a nice lunch eat at the Trolley Stop in the 100 block of front street. You can eat on the back deck and have a nice view of the river and Battleship, NC. Best hotdogs in town.

SeaLion

arizona
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

You simply must dine at the George Restaurant on the riverfront. We dined their in the early evening on May 3. It is new south cooking with splendid flavors. I had the Pecan Grouper, my husband had a carribean flavored pork chop dish that was so unique. Service is excellent, everything is top notch. Can't wait to go there again. Dinner and drinks were worth the $80.00 tab.

Carolina de Carolina

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
354 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

Another option besides the downtown restaurants is Blue Water at Wrightsville beach, Oceanic and Bridge Tender. They all overlook the intracoastal and you can see the yachts and boats gliding past as you dine. Poplar Grove Plantation is a good tour house, along with Bellamy mansion.Also check out the Arboretum here.

9. Re: One day trip to Wilmington,NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 17:20