We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wilmington, NC area

Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
wilmington, NC area

My family might be relocating to the Wilmington, NC area. We now live in a small town in Ohio with very low crime. We are looking for the same type of town (about 30 min. from the beach since we are afraid of hurricanes). We have two small kids so good schools are important. It would also be nice to have about an acre of land. I've been researching as much as I can, but there is only so much you can learn by looking at facts. The perfect town would have a historical downtown, very low crime, good schools, neighborhoods where people take good care of their homes and yards, and be friendly. Any towns that match my dreams?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: wilmington, NC area

I think you would fit in with Southerners just fine. The taking time, the appreciation for others and things around you, etc....the old world values...you seem to have them in place already.

I have seen some pretty places such as you describe in North Raleigh and Cary and Pinehurst. And, as you can see by my location, I know for certain that you can find a low crime-good school-historical downtown-well kept neighborhood area in the Lynchburg/Campbell County/Bedford County area in Va. Just some thoughts.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: wilmington, NC area

PS In answer to your question to me, I mentioned, sort of tongue-in-cheek, about telling southerners your dad's a sourtherner because I remember someone commenting to me years ago that they noticed some old time southerners like to know the family of someone they are being introduced to so they can sort of place them or know them better...perhaps they have something in common, for instance, that is if there's a mutual southern connection. I think it's just another thing that speaks about caring and pace (I lived in the Washington DC area for years when the average time one lived in a home was 2-4 years before moving to another neighborhood or city).

But, you know, in true southern fashion, I will tell you something my mother often reminded me of (and oops there'a preposition and, yes, that is indeed one of the things she reminded me of...but on to my main point):

There's so much good in the worst of us

and so much bad in the best of us

that it ill becomes anyone of us

to judge all the rest of us.

Come south for an extended trip this summer through several areas. You'll love it.

To add to my list I have loved Jackson Ms. and its wonderful kind people and combined big city/towny feel.

NC
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: wilmington, NC area

Hi Ohiohousewife,

Just reading thru your post/responses. Are you for sure relocating to Wilmington at this point? I'm from here (and so if my family :) ). However, I married a New Jersey guy who had relocated here. In other words, I'm awfully glad the northerners are all moving down or else I wouldn't have this wonderful husband of mine!

Hurricanes can be a hassle but to be honest Tornados scare me more. At least with hurricanes you have PLENTY of notice. We've talked about getting a beach house but always decide we're not THAT crazy. We live (as the crow flies) about 1-2 miles from the water and we are always fine. No flooding if you pick the right property. When we built we made sure we had ALL the pine trees removed from our lot since they are the 1st to go in a storm. Other than replacing shingles and picking up the yard/trimming broken limbs - we survive quite well. We had flooding a few years ago with one of the storms but it was much more inland.

Anyway, let me know if you're still relocating. And if you are and want someone to bounce neighborhoods and other things off of let me know. I'd be glad to help. I have great Doctors I can recommend, etc.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: wilmington, NC area

Hi Jasminesmom!

Thanks to you and everyone who has posted back to ohiohousewife - it's been helpful to me, too!

My husband and I are considering relocating from Charlotte to be closer to my family in North Myrtle Beach. (We're all southerners here!) But like ohiohousewife, it is so difficult to narrow down the areas to fit specific needs. And part of the difficulty is that Realtors, by law, can't steer you based on demographics. For instance... my husband and I are both young professionals in our late 20's, starting our family, and would like to find an area with good schools, where we can get some land (0.5+++ acres) and are among others in our life place. I love where my family is in NMB, but there are definitely more retirees that are full-time residents than there are people in our age group.

I picked up on that Brunswick County has great schools - confirmed that by finding Schools of Excellence - great! Any other areas that you could recommend that might fit our needs?

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO POSTS ON THIS FORUM!!!

Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: wilmington, NC area

We are also thinking to move to the Wilmington area soon due to a job offer. When you say new Port in 2010....is that going to accommodate cruise ships?? Also, is Cary a city or a term to define that area?? Thanks for all your posts....they really help.

16. Re: wilmington, NC area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2006, 00:20
Get answers to your questions about Wilmington
Recent Conversations