We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wilmington or Ashville NC

Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Wilmington or Ashville NC

My hubby and I are trying to plan a vacation, but are undecided on Wilmington or Ashville. We enjoy some touristy things to do, good food, dancing, the nightlife.

We like to stay in a hotel near the action, within walking distance of restaurants, etc.

We visited Charleston SC and Savannah GA in the past and loved both places, so we wanted to visit NC this time.

If anyone can tell me some differences in the two and which offers more it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

Well, one is at the coast and one is in the mountains?

Both great cities, just depends on if you want beach or mts. Trip Advisor has a good over view of things to do in each area. You can just click on the "things to do" link on the left side here for Wilmington since you posted this in the Wilmington subforum. If you search Asheville you'll find the same for that area.

It's really an apples to oranges comparison. Both great towns. What are you in the mood for?

Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

We like to walk around and explore the sights of a small town, and it's history. We enjoy a place that has some good food, and a good nightlife.

I think we would rather the beach scene.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

One consideration is your time or year. When are you going?

Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

Sometime between June and August.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
293 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

Both cities have interesting historical downtowns. If you like the beach, then Wilmington is where you should head. It isn't on the ocean exactly but directly east is Wrightsville Beach and south of there is Carolina Beach and Kure Beach, so you aren't far from sand and surf.

There is a nice aquarium near Kure Beach at Fort Fisher. I'm not a foodie, so check the reviews for good restaurants. Airlie Gardens are in the city along with the battleship USS North Carolina right on the Cape Fear River, just a water taxi across from the riverwalk downtown.

It's hot and humid in the summer. If that's a problem, Asheville is where you want to be. I love that city!

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

My first vote was for Wilmington....but since you are going in Summer, I now vote for Asheville. Either one is great!

Jim Thorpe...
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

Thank you all for the replies, appreciate it.

When I did a search for Wilmington, I saw quite a bit of restaurants closed down, just want to make sure there is a good selection of dining and nightlife.

Is there as much to do in the downtown area of Ashville as Wilmington?

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

I live in Wilmington and would say Asheville, especially during the summer. Downtown Asheville is more vibrant, has more character, and is more scenic than Wilmington's in my opinion. Wilmington has the beach so if that's your thing than go there. Both have plenty of downtown eating and nightlife. Wilmington nightlife will be better for the college aged crowd, while Asheville's will be better if you've aged out of that scene.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

Why not do both! I have a home in both cities and each will be well worth a visit. With only 5.5 hous between the cities, it would be no problem to spend a few nights in each area. That's my recommendation and I'm sticking to it :)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wilmington or Ashville NC

According to one travel writer Asheville is one of the most overrated destinations in the world:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/David%20Landsel/10-terribly-overrated-destinations_b_3030348.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl4|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D296496