We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Suggestions?

Lighthouse Point...
Level Contributor
994 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Suggestions?

I will be traveling with my husband to Winston Salem at the end of August where he has business meetings Wednesday-Friday. We would like to spend the weekend nearby and need suggestions. A resort type setting would be nice or something in the mountains as we both like to hike. We are in our late 50s and active. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Maryland
Level Contributor
316 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

Try looking at Chimney Rock area. Its not too too far. It has hiking, waterfalls, lake, lodging, beautiful scenery. Search TA for suggestions on lodging and food.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

Chimney Rock is nice enough, but I'd suggest the Boone/Blowing Rock area for several reasons. First, it's much closer to Winston-Salem (1.5 hours vs. 2.5). Secondly, there's a greater variety of things to do--sights, restaurants, shopping, etc. Third, the Blue Ridge Parkway runs right through the area, which IMO is a must-see for anyone visiting the area and offers a wealth of hiking opportunities. You might consider the Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock, or the Yonahlossee Inn in Boone, or one of the many other lodging choices in the area.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

I second arbyunc's suggestion. Such a short, easy drive to Boone/Blowing Rock area. Lots of great lodging choices. For a full-service resort, Chetola Resort is lovely and a neat perk for it's guests is that some BRP hiking trails can be reached from Chetola's property... http://www.chetola.com/hiking.html

Lots going on in both Boone and Blowing Rock... live music, art, theatre, great restaurants, etc. plus all the great sights and outdoor activities in the mountains....and cooler temperatures than the Piedmont of NC.

NC
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

I live in Winston-Salem and I can completely agree with the above posts that recommend the Boone/Blowing Rock area.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or want suggestions for anything here in Winston.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

There are also some nice state parks not that far from the Winston area...closer than those mentioned in other comments. Check out Pilot Mountain State Park and Hanging Rock State Park.

NC
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

The above mentioned parks are nice, but those are only good for a couple of hours, not a weekend trip.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

Hello,

I'm a 31yr old traveling nurse who is traveling with hubby and cat. We had our heart set on going to Asheville for a 3 month stint but that may not workout. A traveling position has become available in Winston Salem that I may apply for but before doing so I wanted a bit more info on the city from ppl who live there.

We are looking to go to places that have lots of outdoor activities within 30-60mins, music, biking and crafty beers (my husband's a brewer). Basically places similar to Ashville. Is WS similar to that, can anyone tell me some cool things about it. Much appreciated

NC
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

We have lots of parks here in Winston that have bike paths, so you have plenty of options for that. We also have parks north and south of Winston that are about 1 hr or a little more that also offer lots of outdoor activities.

We have Tanglewood Park, which offers LOTS of activities all year round. The park is in Clemmons, a very short drive from Winston.

http://www.forsyth.cc/parks/tanglewood/

Music is a little hard to come by though. We still have a few clubs, but nowhere that we will go anymore. I guess we just grew out of the club scene. However, downtown has live events throughout the year that provide live music (block parties, alive after 5, etc).

Ah, beers.....my hubby's favorite topic. Hubby has 2 favorite places here in Winston when it comes to beer choices---Foothills and Brixx Pizza.

http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/index.html

http://brixxpizza.com/locations/winston-salem

Winston is also a great location simply because we have the mountains to the west & beaches to the east.

Please feel free to message me if I can assist any further!

9. Re: Weekend Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 22:17