We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pgh to MB

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
284 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Pgh to MB

we have stayed in Winston-Salem in the past while on our way to MB from Pgh, but then switched to go a little farther to stay in Greensboro. However now with the new highway we won't go through Greensboro at all. So now back to Winston Salem area it is! I was looking at some motels near the Hanes Mall area, but seemed like it was taking us out of our way....how far is this from the highway & where we need to go?

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pgh to MB

OK...I've decided we're going thru the Winston-Salem area to get to Myrtle Beach from Pittsburgh. I'm getting confused by the Bus40 and 40 routes, though. The hotels seem to be on 40, but AAA has us traveling on Bus40 then towards Greensboro and south on 421. Maybe it would be better to drive a little farther and stay in Asheboro?

Would someone who drives this on a regular basis please give me a good route from route 52 north of WS to Asheboro? I'm usually pretty good with maps, but not this time! :)

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Pgh to MB

Sounds like AAA needs to get with the program...they're way behind! There is a (relatively) new highway that links I-40 to I-74 near Asheboro, and you no longer have to go through Greensboro or get on US 421. Here's the scoop:

As you enter NC on I-77, take the I-74 exit--this is the first exit after entering NC, and it exits left. I-74 becomes US 52 into Winston-Salem. Stay on US 52 past Business I-40 (the green sign), and go an additional two miles or so to the "real" I-40 (red & white sign). Exit onto I-40 east towards Greensboro. Go about 2 miles and take exit 196 onto US 311 towards High Point. Follow this road all the way to US 220/I-73--it's about 30 miles, and along the road the signs change to I-74. You'll merge right onto I-73/US 220.

Note that on your return trip headed north on I-73, you'll look for the I-74 exit towards Winston-Salem, just north of Asheboro. This is a bit confusing because at the Winston-Salem end of this road it's labeled US 311, but at the Asheboro end it's I-74.

Safe travels!

Edit to add: Where you stay is up to you and how far you want to drive. There are plenty of chain hotels along the above route. Many recommend the Hampton Inn in Asheboro, from which it's about a 3 hour drive to Myrtle Beach. Never stayed there myself so I can't vouch for it.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 18:21
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,592 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Pgh to MB

"Google Maps" is on top of this. They use the same (new) directions that arbyunc gives above. Check it out and you can look at the route.

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Pgh to MB

Thanks! I'll do that right now!

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Pgh to MB

I appreciate the time you took to write such detailed directions. I'm going to print them out and put them with the NC road map. Thanks for the hint for returning, too. I never thought about it being labeled differently.

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Pgh to MB

One more question (for now). We'll be passing thru the WS/Greensboro area on the afternoon of Sept. 28...a Saturday. Do you know of any football games or other events that may add to the traffic? Thanks again for your help.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 03:28
Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Pgh to MB

^ You shouldn't have any traffic problems on Sept. 28. Both Wake Forest and Winston-Salem State have away games that day. Besides, both are relatively small schools so even on game days the traffic is manageable.

Mars
Level Contributor
227 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Pgh to MB

Trip Advisor has the nicest people! Thanks to you all for the help you've given me.

19. Re: Pgh to MB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Winston Salem