We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver Gull Motel

Jamestown, NC
6 posts
Save Topic
Silver Gull Motel

Has anyone stayed at the Silver Gull Motel in Wrightsville Beach recently? I am trying to plan a 4-5 day getaway for myself, my husband and our three small children. It will be our first time at WB. I have ready many positive reviews about the Silver Gull, but unfortunately they do not have a website. We are looking for a place that is clean, has a kitchen/kitchenette, and that is extremely close to the beach, but does not have to have lots of frills. A pool is not even that important to us, as we belong to a neighborhood pool here at home, and we want to focus all of our time on playing at the beach while we're on vacation. The Silver Gull seemed to have all of this, but it's hard to make an educated decision without any pictures. Any feedback would be appreciated!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver Gull Motel

Ah, the Silver Gull. It is across the street from our apartment at WB. It is an old hotel, but I would put it in the category as "fine". I understant that the prices are "reasonable" (aka, cheap) and I think, for the money, you get what you pay for. It is far from fancy, and REALLY no frills, but it looks perfectly fine.

It fronts the beach, but only the front two rooms are actually on the beach. The other appear to all have balconies, but you would have to look left or right to see the beach. One side looks out only one of the main beach parking lots, that serves a couple of okay restaurants and Johnny Mercer's fishing pier. It can be very busy and noisy, with lots of college kids on weekends. This is also one of the busiest spots on the beach, so I will warn you to take your kids out early in the morning and then late in the afternoon, to avoid the drunk college students and servicemen. Somedays it is not that bad, but on some days, particularly Saturdays, it can be. My kids are now 5 and 8 and we are right next to this hotel, so that is what we do

I don't want you to make you think that this is a bad location, it is fine. If you want to save money for other things (meals, the water park, movies, etc) and only want a clean room, this is a good choice. Although the parking lot is busy, you have a pier to fish on and walk on right there, a shave ice place across the street, etc. We have been staying across the street for years and wouldn't give it up for anything. Just tell them you HAVE TO have a room looking out on Greensboro Street and not the parking lot. Better yet, ask for one of the rooms on the beach. THey have huge decks looking out on the beach.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver Gull Motel

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn in the past, due to the price just under $400 a night we can no longer go there in the summer. Where else do you recommend to stay. I just returned from Carolina Beach in July, and I would never go back. I have also been to Ocean Isle Beach, which is very nice, but WB is the best!!!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver Gull Motel

Sueleay--I totally agree that the Holiday Inn/WB is very nice but their increasing rate hikes are just becoming too pricey. We're going to try Shell Island this year. I hear Blockade Runner's being sold as private condos. The Hampton Inn Landfall looks to be pretty decent and more reasonable but it's not ON the beach, although it's not too far away.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silver Gull Motel

Downunder- years ago I was told Shell Island was falling in the ocean and so they would'nt put any $ in it to update, has that changed? When we stayed at the HI we would walk down to that end of the beach and find huge shells. Let me know about your stay .

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
410 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silver Gull Motel

Sueleay--I was under the same impression but my daughter's having her wedding on WB in September so I had to find accomodations for all of her out of town guests. We're from out of state so we flew up to check things out in person. We toured a room at Shell Island and it was actually a lot nicer than I expected. The lobby/elevators and hallways are kind of run-down but the units are privately owned so they vary. The unit we were shown was very nice and clean but I imagine others aren't quite as nice. We booked a very nice unit in person so it took the "surprise" element out of everything. I would suggest that you book over the phone and tell the desk exactly what you're looking for. Our immediate family's staying at the Holiday Inn which we love but it's just too expensive for some of the guests. The wedding's not until late September but I promise to post. Finding a decent hotel on WB is beginning to be a huge headache!

6. Re: Silver Gull Motel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 18:20
Get answers to your questions about Wrightsville Beach