We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

Which Wrightsville Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jamestown, NC
6 posts
Save Topic
Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

Anybody have any preference between Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach? I've never been to either. I've heard that WB has beautifully clear water--is Carolina Beach the same way? We have 3 young kids, so kid-friendly activities that don't break the bank are a plus, if anybody knows of any in either of those areas. Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

I personally think there would be more kid-friendly options at Carolina Beach. Especially the NC aquarium at Fort Fisher.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

I've never been to Wightsville Beach, but have been to Carolina Beach numerous times with my kids over the last 18 years. Loved every minute of it. The Aquarium is great. There is also the ferry from Ft. Fisher to Southport that the kids would love.

There is an arcade at the boardwalk; typical arcade games. Lots of neat stores to shop in and resturants. Be sure to take them to Kure Beach Pier, neat but cheesy gift shop ...and last year there were pelicans all over the end of the pier. So cool!

Outer Banks, NC, USA
Level Contributor
49 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

WB is more upscale, and consequently is generally more expensive. CB is more affordable (numerous small mom-and-pop motels) and has more "activities" beyond swimming/beachcombing/walking. The excellent aquarium is much closer to CB, and as previously posted there are a few more things to try/see along the CB boardwalk (Brit's donuts and the arcade).

Both beaches offer pier fishing, and the water will have about the same clarity since they face the same direction (depends on wind and recent rainfall). WB usually as a gentler slope on its beach. Both beaches have lifeguarded areas.

WB is slightly closer to Wilmington and its other kid activities such as the Children's Museum, the battleship, and Jungle Rapids. Both have nearby movie theatres (WB has a 16 screener, CB has a 4).

For what you're asking, it sounds like CB might be the better option overall.

Jamestown, NC
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. Looks like we'll be heading to Carolina Beach!

Durham,NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

Just returned from CB, seem to be more options for kids, but watch the kids in the surf. We saw three rescues in 4 hrs with one going to the hospital. The beach is much steeper wirh kids getting caught in the current and this was without any storms. Overall, we like WB beach better .

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

We always stay in Carolina Beach as we have friends that live there. Will be returning June 30. Have rented an oceanfront condo, 2BR, 2BA with fully equiped kitchen and a washer/dryer. Cost $1100/wk With kids I would recommend a condo over a hotel. More room, can make breakfast & lunch, kids can take a nap and you can still enjoy the view from the deck.

You can walk to the boardwalk, The Seawitch Cafe for lunch, or over to the pier where the charter fishing boats come in.

Britz Donuts are a must!! Wheel Fun Rentals rents umbrellas & beach chairs, bikes, etc. They will deliver & set up your umbrella & chairs each day and pick them up in the PM.

Britz Donuts are a must!!!

7. Re: Wrightsville Beach vs Carolina Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 10:27
Get answers to your questions about Wrightsville Beach