We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Public Access

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best Public Access

Hi there,

I've been going to Wrightsville Beach for a few years now for the day from the Raleigh area and love it however I've not been able to find the right public access point for our family. I'm not sure which one I use but it is the first one I get to when driving into Wrightsville from Rt. 40. The bathroom is small and without doors. There aren't many eating options except for a very expensive ice cream/sandwich shop. The pier, etc. and beach is lovely and I want to continue visiting however can anyone recommend a better place to get on the beach? We drove down Lumina (I believe North) a bit and found a nice parking lot with what looked like larger bathrooms however there was nothing around to eat. All we would like is nice bathrooms and a place to eat or get drinks right on the beach. Is there such a thing at Wrightsville? Thank you!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Public Access

It's been a while for me but let me try to help some.

The road from the mainland to the island is US 74/76. After you cross the big bridge and get onto the island, it splits....74 going to the north end of the island, and 76 going to the south end.

Where 74 hits the main road and turns north (left) onto the main street, there is a good decent amount of parking. I can't remember how nice the bathrooms are or are not...but there is alot of public access. However, as you might have noticed this area is more hotels than dining or shopping. (This is also where the pier is.) So...for this end, better parking access but less amenities.

Where 76 hits the main road and turns south (right) onto the main street, there is alot less parking for public beach access. However, this area is almost like a "mini downtown" for Wrightsville, with more dining, shopping (the big Wings store among others), and other amenities. But again, it has less parking and is more crowded. (Probably because this side of the island is more narrow.)

The thing is these two areas are basically less than a mile apart...last time I was there I actually walked from one to the other. But give the south end a try...maybe you'll be lucky and actually find parking.

2. Re: Best Public Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 08:24
Get answers to your questions about Wrightsville Beach