We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference in Beaches

Which Wrightsville Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Difference in Beaches

Hi:

We are driving from Atlanta and planning a family vacaction for mid August. Most important criteria is being on the Ocean (not sound). We mostly will be on the beach and going to restaurants with occasional excursion. We have little kids and will not be "partying" etc. I am seeing vacation rentals on different beaches such as Carolina Beach, Top Sail, Kure Beach, etc.

Can someone give me the "lay of the land?" Are all these beaches close together and comparable or do they each have plusses and minuses? We are staying for a full week and I am looking for good value in the house we rent. Any suggestions/input are welcome.

TIA for replies

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference in Beaches

Carolina Beach and Kure Beach are side by side approximately 20 miles south of Wilmington. Topsail is 20 miles north of Wilmington. All are decent family beaches. If it were me, however, I would look at either Long Beach or Ocean Isle, which are between Wilmington and North Myrtle Beach. Both are quiet and perfect for families, but are close to Myrtle Beach for a day trip. Don't forget that mid August is hurricane season, so check your rental for cancellation rules.

South Shore, Long...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference in Beaches

I would recommend driving a little further north, :)

to Overlook Beach or Gilgo Beach, both east of Jones Beach and west of Robert Moses Beach. The most beautiful ocean beaches in the land...And they face the right way!

Anyway, Wrightville is a nice place for a family vacation, too. Have fun!

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference in Beaches

^ What do you mean by "they face the right way"? Don't all beaches face the right way, i.e., towards the ocean? Or perhaps you mean to say they face away from the congestion and pollution of the city, in which case they are indeed facing the right way. ;)

Anyway, to the original poster, for what you want I'd say there's really not much difference between any of the beaches on NC's southern coast. The sand and water are great, and they are generally similar in layout--a central area with a few shops, hotels and restaurants, maybe a pier, then lots of beach houses and condos. The most popular are Topsail, Wrightsville and Carolina near Wilmington, and Ocean Isle and Sunset Beaches further south (nearer to Myrtle Beach). While these are the more popular, they are still very family-oriented and never crowded, at least compared to the Myrtle Beach area. For just lazing on the beach and the occasional venture out, I'm confident you'd be extremely pleased with any of our beaches.

Take a look at this link; it may help:

http://www.insiders.com/wilmington/

4. Re: Difference in Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Wrightsville Beach