We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

Will be in the area for a long weekend and not sure what the differences are between the beaches. I prefer a laid back beach town, quaint shops and restaurants and not a million tourist attractions.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
333 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

I think based on your post imo I like Kure. Not too touristy yet plenty to do including the aqurium. Good variety of restaurants from Freddies for Italian to your basic calabash style seafood. Wilmington is not too far a drive for more culinary choices. Enjoy your time at the beach.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

I agree with Kure. It's quiet and close to downtown Wilmington, the aquarium as well as the ferry over to Southport. Wrightsville is very crowded.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

How is the weather memorial day?

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

I suppose it's all relative. To me, "...a laid back beach town, quaint shops and restaurants and not a million tourist attractions..." perfectly describes Wrightsville as well, at least for those who normally go to a Myrtle or VA Beach or other "bigger" beaches. One could describe Wrightsville, Carolina, and Kure as laid back, really laid back, and double-secret laid back. :)

I'm sure you'd have a great time at any of them.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

Either Kure or Carolina Beach. Basically same area, (they are side by side)a little more to do in Carolina Beach. If you stay in Carolina (or Wrightsville) you will drive right through Kure to get to the Aquarium, Ft. Fisher and the Ferry. That whole area is very nice. Have a great time!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

Arbyunc, I think that is a great description. One person's "laid back" is not always another's!

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

I've just been to Wrightsville for a day trip and I was at Kure Beach last Labor Day. Both are great choices for a laid back trip. Wrightsville is a bit more upscale in the dining choices and while a bit more populated, does not have the thru traffic that Kure Beach has. Kure Beach is definitely more old beach in its food choices and hotels. Both beaches are good for swimming and surfing depending on the weather.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

tothesea, where did you end up going and how was it? We are looking at a laid back beach on the NC coast and wondering between these three as well. road tripping from MI and arriving in NC on Sunday June 2.

Lake City
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

We were needing information on Kure Beach....Any nice Hotels or Motels near the Beach???

what good Restaurants would you suggest???

10. Re: Wrightsville, Carolina or Kure Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 10:24
Get answers to your questions about Wrightsville Beach