We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrightsville Beach with kids

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Wrightsville Beach with kids

I am a single dad and I am thinking of taking my two kids to Wrightsville Beach for a week in August (8/17 to 8/24). The kids are very well behaved and I have taken them to the beach previously.

I have a few questions:

1) The kids are 12 and 10 years old. Is Wrightsville Beach kid friendly?

2) Suggestions on where in town we should stay?

3) Other than the beach itself, are there any kid friendly activities in town or in the surrounding areas?

Thank you in advance.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrightsville Beach with kids

That's a good time to go.....the local kids will likely have started school already and the rental prices usually drop. The north and south ends of the beach are quieter and less crowded. The area around Johnnie Mercer's pier is the most crowded on the weekends since the most parking is there Wrighstville is much busier on weekends because alot of day visitors come from Wilmington.

The Holiday Inn Resort is a great property. Also Shell Island Resort at the far north end of the island.

We usually rent a house or condo....Bryant Realty and Intracoastal are the two largest....also look on VRBO, but they seem to have fewer listings than other beaches.

Good day trips for the kids are Jungle Rapids Water Park on Oleander, NC Battleship in Wilmington, and the aquarium at Fort Fisher. We always enjoyed ridng the car ferry from Ft. Fisher to Soutport....it's cheap and Southport is a cute little town.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrightsville Beach with kids

You must take the kids to the Carolina/Kure Beach area! Take Hwy 421 south to Carolina Beach, a very nice, small family-friendly town. On south is Kure Beach. Stop at the Kure Pier, browse the souvineer shop and walk out on the pier. Maybe dinner or lunch at Big Daddys across the street. On south to Ft. Fisher museum. Very interesting. Then..the NC Aquarium is further down. A very nice place, kids love it! Then take the Ft. Fisher Ferry over to Southport. You can drive around Southport, have dinner there, then either take the ferry back or head back north on Hwy. 17 or 133. . Or....park your car at the Ft. Fisher side of the Ferry and just ride it, then come back. We have done that a time or two.

It's not a long trip at all....from Wrightsville Beach to the Aquarium (which is about as far as you can go) it's about 45 minutes. Have fun!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrightsville Beach with kids

Thank you both Art622 and beachlady3! Your kind answers are most helpful and I will try to fit in all of your suggestions in our trip.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrightsville Beach with kids

Look at the Blockade Runner on Wrightsville Beach also--they are very family friendly.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wrightsville Beach with kids

I love the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort. Great place for the kids and adults.The beach is also great, wide and flat and very kid friendly! Check out their reviews on trip advisor.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
69 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wrightsville Beach with kids

Agree with the selections above. It will still be quite busy since it is prior to Labor Day so the earlier you book the better!

7. Re: Wrightsville Beach with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Wrightsville Beach