We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
5,650 reviews
Save Topic
Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

We have booked 2 nights at the Best Western in Dickenson to see Theodore Roosevelt National Park for early June. Medora Theater is not yet in season yet - will be a couple of days after we leave. Pricing is about half price of Medora. Is this ok or should we pay the extra for Medora?

After two nights in Dickenson, headed next to Bismarck, so I figure we have enough time to visit and possibly revisit the park. We are headed east through North Dakota as going to a family reunion in Minnesota.

7 replies to this topic
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

Staying in Dickinson can work well for what you have planned. Growing up, every year we did a day trip from Bismarck staying for the musical. It made for a late night but we always managed to get in the highlights like the auto drive and the Chateau de Mores and the musical.

Also, being at Dickinson doesn't add much time to the drive to the North Unit of the park, if you had planned on that and it puts you closer to the Enchanted Highway (which is unique, but not for everyone).

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
5,650 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

Thanks David T for your very good advise

Very much looking forward to seeing the park.

Jamestown, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

Either Dickinson or Medora would be great options for lodging. Dickinson has a bit more variety and is only about a 30 minute drive away (and at least half of that drive is pretty scenic). You should have plenty of time. On your way east, have you thought about taking the Old Red Ten scenic byway? It runs parallel to I-94 for the most part and has some great features including the Enchanted Highway. http://oldredoldten.com/

Also, after you leave Bismarck, think about Jamestown for a stop as well. The National Buffalo Museum is just off I-94 and features a bison herd started from the bison in Theodore Roosevelt which now includes white buffalo. http://www.buffalomuseum.com/

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
5,650 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

Thanks....

The Old Red Ten sounds great as well as the Enchanted Highway portion.

and yes, Buffalo Museum is on my list of :must do's"

Looking forward to this fun trip.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

I would spend the extra money and stay in Medora - you will get a better "western" experience than in Dickinson which is a oil boom town.

Manning, North...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

Horse Puckey, that Medora bit. Dickinson is a nice little town with a distinctive "old town center" and many interesting little shops. There's theater and live music, some nice restaurants (came here from Seattle.) You will not see man camps in Dickinson. You will see growth, new construction, new retail, and new infrastructure. Much of this includes the arts and recreational activities. Over all, the communities of North Dakota's Western Edge are in culture shock, but are thriving and building for the future as well as the immediate demand.

Medora is a tourist destination, to be sure, but it isn't the only destination on the western edge.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,449 posts
5,650 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?

Thanks to all.

Medora show is not yet playing - a few days after we leave - so it looks like a pleasant place to be

however will probably lean towards keeping out plans as is.....

Sounds fun though.....

Reply to: Booked Dickenson for Theodore Roosevelt NP - or Medora?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dickinson